Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Summer '07)

Old Forester, 86 proof, dimpled bottle - dated 1995.
    Not bad, a bit rough around the edges, will be interesting to see if it gets better after the bottle's been open awhile.
    If not, no big deal as it was only $10.

~tp

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Tim,
    While in Myrtle Beach, check out Green's liquor store on the main drag at 29th. St. N. in North Myrtle Beach. Best liquor store I found in Myrtle!

Thomas
    Also try Owens Liquor's....I picked up PVW15 and 20 there. I found Weller Antique 107 at Greens.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

So far this week I have had WT 101, AA 10yr. barrel 107, Rebel Yell, Bernheim Wheat, OCPR and Pritchards double barrel bourbon. I'm leaving for Las Vegas on Sunday so who knows what next week will bring!

Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Tonight I had some great FRSB (the Single Barrel), which is probably the best bottle I've had yet, full, sweet and woody but without tannic edge, fruity, pepperminty. Just tops.

Also, a little Sazerac cocktail. Here's how I did it: 50% of the Heaven Hill mingling I did recently, remaining 50% Portuguese brandy, dash each Fee's and Angostura (the Fee's was the cinnamony oak-aged bitters), dash maple syrup, dash 1970's Pernod (a gift from Randy Goode some years ago). Very good indeed.

Then, a half of two bottles of beer (remainder capped for tomorrow): the great Sinha stout from Sri Lanka (an Imperial stout basically, a holdover from British colonization days - this is called Lion in some markets), and the Saaz-hopped Christoffel Bier from Holland which is a craft lager beer of the highest quality.

Gary

Connoisseur

A Manhattan with OGD BIB, Cinzano sweet vermouth, and my homemade bitters. They're heavy on clove and cardamom with a decent cinnamon backbone and a good, bitter bite. Not the viscosity I'd hoped for, but this is my first batch. A great cocktail.

Don't know where I'll go from here, but the Beam Black 7/90 I opened last night is calling my name.

Thumbs up Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Summer '07)

This is my first attempt at this, so go easy on me... I poured myself an OGD114 that I found at a local this week. It is surprisingly smooth with a touch of water, and is going well with the Opus #4 I am smoking. Wow, this stuff is great!!!

Apprentice

The bourbon of the month - Jim Beam Black (8/86).
    Barron.

Crabgrass can grow on bowling balls in airless rooms, and there is no known way to kill it that does not involve nuclear weapons.
    Dave Barry

Connoisseur

Sipping some Rowan's Creek on the rocks while paging through the just arrived Summer (3rd quarter) edition of Malt Advocate. They devote a decent amount of space to bourbon.

Virtuoso

I'm having some Old Fitzgerald BIB now, after a Negroni and a Red Hook. With the Old Fitz, I'm noticing a bit of burn, and yet it seems soft and mellow at the same time. From a flavor standpoint, mostly caramel/vanilla with just a hint of menthol. The finish is fairly short, not particularly woody, mostly a fadeaway of the original taste.

I'd put this very high on the bang-for-the-buck list though - I'd pick this over MM any day.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    Sipping some Rowan's Creek on the rocks while paging through the just arrived Summer (3rd quarter) edition of Malt Advocate. They devote a decent amount of space to bourbon.
    Rowan's Creek has been my choice for this summer. It's a great pour, especially on the rocks.