Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Summer '07)

Those of you that know me know that I don't like cocktails, I find them too sweet. It was not exceptionally hot last evening, but I spent the day with a chain saw so I was hot. My wife spent the day gardening so she also worked up a good sweat. We took some chocolate mint from her herb garden and put it in a food processor, then put the crushed mint into a tea ball. I poured a good sized glass of Very Old Barton and used that as a base for the tea. After it seeped well we poured it over two ice cubes and garnished it with a sprig of chocolate mint. Very cool and refreshing. It works just as well with any other good bourbon. We tried it once with spearmint and it wasn't nearly as good as chocolate mint, but it was still cool and refreshing. She also raises sun mint but we haven't tried it with that. Those of you who have an herb garden, give it a try and let me know your opinion. I call it Arkansas Tea, maybe I should call it Kentucky Tea?

Stu

Connoisseur

P.S Those of you that know Bernadette know that she is not a bourbon fan (she likes single malts) but she really enjoys the tea that I described in my last post. Also I said that I normally don't like cocktails, however there are exceptions. Sometimes when Bernadette cooks Mexican food she makes a pitcher of delicious Martgueritas using gold tequila and lots of salt on the glass. We'll also drink an occasional colada made with Coco Lopez and a double helping of dark rum (a recipe we found in Puerto Rico). Occasionally after a fine supper I'll make us a drink that I invented years ago that's a bastardization of a King Alphonse and a Brandy Alexander - crushed ice, add equal parts of heavy cream, Creme de Cocoa, and Kahlua, then blend. It tastes like a spiked mocha malted milk.

Stu

Guru

Went to the neighbors last night for a cookout... Dave knows I like bourbon and offered me two choices: Weller 12 or "this other one". The other one turned out to be EWSB 1994 (which he bought cuz the label looked different)!

Golly, I love my neighbors.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Tonight, a couple of hits of Barton Bottled in Bond. I think this bourbon may have the best nose of any bourbon I have. Very floral and distinctive. Only resemblance to anything else I can think of is the Four Roses Single Barrel. In addition, I find it interesting how the floral nose gives way to a delicious yeasty taste. And, a superbly clean finish. For around $10, this is exceptional whiskey.

JOE

Virtuoso

First a bottle of Polish beer (Okocim) to accompany the food at a semi-local Polish buffet.

Now, Weller Antique. I'm getting an impression of honey with a slight touch of cinnamon, and a medium honey/oak finish.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur

Started early today with 8 yr Old Fitz 1849 and ginger ale while I tended the grill. Then moved on to a pour of WT 12 split label. Then a mid-80's Old Grand-Dad Bonded. Today I found the OGD preferable to the WT 12. Had more depth to the flavor, just a whole lot happening in the taste. Had to have another small one. Finally, mixed myself and three guests arguably heretical, tip-top shelf Manhattans: 1 1/2 oz Old Fitz 1849, 1/2 oz Willetts!!, 1/2 oz Carpano Antica, dash of Angostura, dash of Fee's Orange Bitters, garnished with a flamed lemon twist. An absolutely perfect cocktail!

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Connoisseur

WT:KS. The bottle is from 2001 and has one of those nice pewter tops. Much to my disappointment the cork broke when I was pulling it out. Only a small piece fell into the bottle and I was able to get it out and clean off the inside of the neck were some was stuck, almost glued. Luckily I never throw away my corks and had a wooden replacement from a previous bottle. The pewter top is quite nice, pretty heavy (over 6x heavier!), but useless with the broken cork on it. As for the bourbon itself, tastes great! I guess that's all that really matters.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

I awoke yesterday (Friday) at 9 a.m., and walked four miles to monitor progress on my car being repaired after an earlier vacation accident in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Without going into detail, I muddled away about the worst ordinary day of my life until the car was finally available at midnight EDT. I was due at work at noon CDT today (Saturday). I made it -- with a 1-hour, fitful 'siesta' in the Augusta, GA, welcome-center rest area, which I left when I discovered the restroom cannot be accessed after hours.
    I worked 9 hours today at the liquor-store job. At present, I'm working on 38+ hours of sleeplessness, having just downed a 750ml of Belgian ale with some American cheese slices (that was supper!). And, oddly, I'm as alert as if I were well-rested and leisurely.
    I figure I'm delerious -- no bourbon for me, I'm going to bed!
    Tim

Guru

A Caipirinha, several in fact.
    ovh

Smile Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Summer '07)

Tonight I am having an OGD BIB 100 (probably a recent bottling, my guess, I just bought it last week) to accompany the La Aurora Preferido Cameroon I am smoking. This bourbon is very good with this cigar. I do not know much about flavor profiles yet, but am thinking this combination is producing a cinamon red-hot candy flavor. My first taste of OGD BIB, I really enjoy the 114 also. Very nice!!!