Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Enthusiast

Re: Pappy van Winkle

approved list? the people's republic of NC. no wonder Nascar started down south. who puts it on the list in the first place?
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
    ...the people's republic of NC. no wonder Nascar started down south...
    This, from someone in that liberal/progressive (read that, "I know it all, and you'd better listen, because I'm BETTER than you!") bastion, Wisconsin!
    Oy!
    For your info, my second-grade class this year (Tennessee, last I checked, was an 'Old Confederacy' state) is just one student short of being minority-majority, with at least two dual-race children. Rednecks are awfully hard to find these days outside of comedy tours.
    We all get along just fine, too. Imagine that.
    (Yes, I'm offended! You see, I grew up in the 'liberal' Midwest, too -- I've learned a lot since I knew it all.)
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 08-05-2007 at 21:30.
    Tim

Enthusiast

Looks like I hit a nerve. Chill out dude. No offense was meant toward the south or rednecks or people of any ethnic origin. Also I never claimed to "know it all or that I am better than anyone". I am surprised,saddned and very sorry to hear that some people live with "whiskey censorship". That if a brand is not on a "approved list" you cannot buy it. I believe that the state(whether Tennessee, North Carolina, Wisconsin or any other) should not be in the business of telling you the consumer what you can buy. If a liquer store in said state has a market and make money selling Pappy Van Winkle then the store should make the decision not the government. The state should collect their tax and that should be it.

History lesson on NASCAR. It was fstarted by a group of Whiskey runners during prohibition. Ever hear about Junior Johnson? They built souped up cars to hide the fact that they were carrying a trunk full of contraband and they needed a fast car to out run the law. As you can imagine when a group of these fellas got together they needed to find out who had the fastest car and Nascar was born. I fully apprecaite that spirit and hope it continues to grow>>Good Thing! Go Matt Kenseth #17.

Are you still offended? If so take a moment to breathe. Preferably over a glass of Kentucky's finiest bourbon and all will be right.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

North Carolina is a Control State of the most extreme sort, in that the state is both sole distributor and sole retailer of distilled spirits. One can easily make jokes about alcohol marketing being "socialized" in those states, but such jokes have to be either ignorant or meant as ironic, since the list of the states in which alcohol marketing is most "socialized" is mostly states that otherwise are considered quite conservative, such as Alabama, North Carolina and Utah.

The rest are Idaho, New Hampshire, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington.

Also, "approved list" is a misnomer. Like any retailer, North Carolina simply decides what it wants to sell. But because it is a monopoly, that choice covers every retailer in the state.

Novice

American Taliban, ah-hyuck ah tell yew whut.

Enthusiast

Boy, I really stepped into here. I am know it all from the north in 1 post and ignorant in the next. I see some humor in that. By the way I do understand that NC is a control state.

Do you not think that the people would be better served if the government buracrat got out of the way and let the marketplace decide what product it wants or doesn't want? "Whiskey Censorship". I do suppose that if the people of North Carolina wanted to have freedom of choice on this issue they could elect people to change the law. If anything I am fortunate that there are Control states as I can find more of the types and brands of whiskey that I want to drink at a probable lower price.

Also for the record I have said nothing about liberal, progressive, conservative, left wing, right wing, moderate, the bible belt so on and so forth. I am sorry to original poster for running over his/her post.

Novice

Smile Re: Pappy van Winkle

Hah I don't care; I just wanted to know about old man Pappy. That's done with, so take this wherever you want it to go.