Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 11/06: Jim Beam

The last couple of months have focused on the staples of a few of our fine KY distilleries (i.e. Maker's Mark and WT101.) With some input from esteemed forum members I thought it a good idea to continue this theme a bit further. This month we're going mainstream with the best-selling boourbon of all time:

Jim Beam While Label.

While this brand typically does not garner a connoisseur's praise, numbers don't lie, and at 5 million cases per year sold, it can't be all that bad. Some may not realize that Jim Beam white has two iterations: the standard 4yo and a longer-aged 7yo. Discussion this month will include both variations and I would like to encourage comparative tastings.

Use this opportunity to put aside pre-conceived notions and re-taste this classic bourbon with an open mind!

Sound off
    Last edited by jeff; 11-02-2006 at 04:45.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur
    Unfortunately I'm running out of Bourbon storage in my bunker. I cannot warrant purchasing Beam White just for this test. However, next time I'm in a bar I'll give it a go.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Administrator in exile
    The Beam is not the problem...your small bunker is the problem!
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo
    Unfortunately I'm running out of Bourbon storage in my bunker. I cannot warrant purchasing Beam White just for this test. However, next time I'm in a bar I'll give it a go.
    The beauty of Beam White is the fact that you can get it in smaller sizes. That way it won't sit around in your undersized bunker for long, yet you can still enjoy it in your usual setting allowing for evaluating it under your ideal circumstances.

I wonder if I can get the 7yo down here in the swamp?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    The Beam is not the problem...your small bunker is the problem!
    Couldn't agree more!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Good choice!

At last I have a valid excuse for buying a bottle. It was quite awhile ago.

At least here in Sweden, they come in 350 ml bottles, as well, which in cases like these, comes quite handy.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Enthusiast
    At the risk of getting flamed, I will say JB white label is the worst whisk(e)y, I have ever tasted, including the dodgy caramel infested Scottish blends, we get in our supermarkets here. I find it undrinkable, with a weird boiled cabbage nose.

Until a couple of years ago, it was the only bourbon readily available in the UK and I believe it is responsible for a lot of Scotch drinkers 'fear of bourbon'.

What is more it cost around £15 a bottle - about $28.50.

What was that ? Yep $28.50 a bottle. Having said that I would not drink it if it was free.

It is the pockmark on bourbon's beautiful countenance.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Advanced Taster
    Since most of my taste buds are gone from all the hot sauce I have had over the years I am going to save what few taste buds I have left for the good stuff and pass on this months selection.

bj

Guru
    As Chuck would say, this is actually pretty good for what it is... an every-man's everywhere, anytime bourbon. Clearly far from the best but even further from the worst. Sort of the McDonalds of bourbon. Perhaps best used for mixing.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    With some Some may not realize that Jim Beam white has two iterations: the standard 4yo and a longer-aged 7yo.

Sound off
    This is the first I have heard of this.
    The only Jim Bean White Label that I am aware of has no age statement at all, so there fore that must be the 4 year old.
    Is the 7 year old available nationally?
    I must say that an extra 3 years in the wood would help it.