Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM, 7/07: Blanton's

I always associate Blanton's with quality, and have loved all but one bottle that I have tried. My problem is that I don't like the price point. The new one @ 40% at the LCBO ($50 cdn) sounds like a good deal, but the prices used to be outta sight. Not the greatest value in my book when placed next to ETL, Bakers or Rittenhouse BIB.

Guru

Post Re: BOTM, 7/07: Blanton's

Frodo, keep in mind that Blanton's and Elmer T Lee (as well as Rock Hill Farms) are the same whiskey. They are simply selected to meet differing taste profiles. They are probably aged differently, too.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Tim,

Good point. And I prefer RHF and ETL - both cheaper - to Blanton's, based on admittedly limited experience with the latter. Given the single-barrel variations that can occur, I suppose Blanton's deserves another chance or two, but it's hard for me to spend the money for a bottle when I can get RHF for $10 less, give or take.

I also find this bourbon expensive for what I get.. I will buy ETL, BT any day, and enjoy I it more. 2 for the price of 1... cant beat that in my book.

Apprentice

One of my favorites in my limited tasting experience. I finished a bottle last month and was sad to see it go. Fortunately, it is readily available here. I have tried it neat, with one ice cube, with two ice cubes, letting it breath for 15 minutes (neat) and then 30 minutes(neat). I liked it almost every way (least of all with two cubes). I am going to get another bottle soon. Retails here for $39.99.
    Barron.

Crabgrass can grow on bowling balls in airless rooms, and there is no known way to kill it that does not involve nuclear weapons.
    Dave Barry

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blux View Post
    Retails here for $39.99.
    That is a great price, Barron. I have never found it for less than $45.

Also, when I have been able to find both, RHF has always been more expensive than Blanton's. The least I have ever paid for RHF was $52.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

I often see RHF for the same price as Blanton's, but it's usually $10 less or so. I did find an obviously mispriced bottle for $26.99 once.

At any rate, I've also never seen Blanton's for less than $45. It's probably worth that, especially given what Scotch or tequila costs, but I do too much comparative pricing against other American whiskeys to talk myself into it.

Virtuoso

I'm trying my first pour of Blanton's tonight, after bringing home a bottle.

I'd agree with Gillman on this one - it's a bit on the dry side, but there's some nice spicy sweetness going on, too. The dryness comes out in the finish that goes on and on, and reminds me a lot of a heavily-aged Scotch; it sort of reminds me of a bourbon version of Ardbeg 1977. (FYI, I consider that a good thing!)

In spite of the lack of an age statement, I get the distinct impression that this barrel, at least, spent quite some time aging.

This one says:
    Dumped on 3/19/07
    Barrel #51
    Warehouse #4
    Rick #3
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Frodo, keep in mind that Blanton's and Elmer T Lee (as well as Rock Hill Farms) are the same whiskey. They are simply selected to meet differing taste profiles. They are probably aged differently, too.
    Tim
    This interests me...I tried to find some other threads talking about this but seem to fall short. Going into the Barrel all three of these are the same?
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    This interests me...I tried to find some other threads talking about this but seem to fall short. Going into the Barrel all three of these are the same?
    Todd, Buffalo Trace has but two rye-bourbon mashbills:

Mash Bill # 1 (low rye) : Old Charter, Eagle Rare, George T. Stagg, Buffalo Trace

Mash Bill # 2 (high rye): Ancient Age, Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock’s Reserve, Blanton’s

The references to 'high' and 'low' rye are relative -- neither BT mashbill is terribly high in rye (I think it goes up to 12%).
    Tim