Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM, 7/07: Blanton's

Thanks Tim,

So now comes the stupid questions....so if all the Bourbon that goes in the barrel is the same, is age the biggest determining factor in the flavor? I currently only have Blantons...I will have to pick up the others to taste them side by side. I don't see an age on the Blantons...do the others have an age?
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    ...is age the biggest determining factor in the flavor?..
    Age, along with warehouse placement. Even two barrels exactly the same age would still be quite different if, for example, one is from the middle of the second floor of a valley rickhouse, and the other is from the outside of the top floor of a hilltop rickhouse. The latter one would be 'older' in taste -- it would mature more quickly -- even though otherwise a sibling.
    Another potential factor is the barrel itself. They are not all exactly alike, most notably regarding the level of char.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Age, along with warehouse placement. Even two barrels exactly the same age would still be quite different if, for example, one is from the middle of the second floor of a valley rickhouse, and the other is from the outside of the top floor of a hilltop rickhouse. The latter one would be 'older' in taste -- it would mature more quickly -- even though otherwise a sibling.
    Another potential factor is the barrel itself. They are not all exactly alike, most notably regarding the level of char.
    All very interesting Tim, thanks. I guess I understand that there would be a difference, just surprised at how much it is.
    Todd

Connoisseur

Does this differ between each BT single barrel brand or do you mean haphazard variations?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa View Post
    Does this differ between each BT single barrel brand or do you mean haphazard variations?
    I would believe that Tim is referring to the haphazard variations that occur: not two trees are the same, hence no two boards are the same...no matter how much they try to perfect the charring process, no two barrels will char exactly the same
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa View Post
    Both -- they try to use staves from a variety of trees/sources in each barrel (although I believe one of BT's experiments is 'single-tree barrels' -- I kid you not!), so each will be somewhat different. But, also each brand uses a particular level of char.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Both -- they try to use staves from a variety of trees/sources in each barrel (although I believe one of BT's experiments is 'single-tree barrels' -- I kid you not!), so each will be somewhat different. But, also each brand uses a particular level of char.
    OK, thanks for that interesting info. "Single-tree barrels" sounds intriguing. I gather that is an experiment that has yet to see the light of day?

The level of char for each brand, is that info available somewhere here on SB.com?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Had my first taste of Blanton's tonight. Very smooth, yet complex. I like this bourbon alot. Thanks for the selection of a great BOTM.
    "I happened to stumble across a case of bourbon--and went right on stumbling for several days thereafter." -W.C. Feilds

Sipping on a little Straight From The Barrel right now. I love this stuff, a splash of water and I find it wonderful! One great thing about Blanton's is all the variations in proof available. I am sure I have said this before of others, but Blanton's to me is the quintessential bourbon.

I also have an open bottle of Gold that is great as well, and the regular label has never disappointed me in a bar! I'd really like to taste some of the older bottlings of this some of the Texas members have spoke about; hopefully Randy and the others will post some notes.....
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Novice

I have had the pleasure of tasting two different bottles of Blantons, at one sitting. They were bottled 8 years apart.

One was quite nice, smooth, very complex flavors but nicely blended. The other was hugely smoky!!. There were other flavors but the smokiness almost overwhelmed them. If that had been the only bottle to have been tasted, I would have shunned the brand for quite a while.