Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Apprentice

Re: BOTM, 7/07: Blanton's

Blanton's might be one of the top Bourbon's in the world. IThe flavor is excellent and the pour is complex, however in stages, this being its onlty drawback.

Disciple

Re: BOTM, 7/07: Blanton's

Blanton's was the brand that introduced me to "collecting" bourbon instead of just savoring it -- found lots of personally-tagged bottles with racehorse stoppers in a shot bar in Kyoto, Japan and decided to see what the fuss was about -- I was impressed and brought a bottle home (before discovering which local stores were likely to carry it.) I *will* say that Japan has the States beat hands down in price and availability: "White" (original), Green (lower proof), Silver (higher proof), Gold (older?) and Straight From The Barrel, ranging from $20-40(!!) They used to have Black too, but I haven't seen it lately.

I agree with those who find it scotch-like, and I serve it my SMSW-drinking friends. I didn't love the most recent bottle as much as the first -- risks of a single-barrel. The first Blanton's Gold that I tried had the strongest corn oil nose of any bourbon I've even tasted -- a newer bottle is somewhat harsh on the throat.

At ~$40/bottle in the East, it's a good bar pour, but I find other bourbons to be a better value. (I did bring a SFTB home from a recent trip to compare with my Staggs but haven't broken the seal yet.)