Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Will bourbon "go bad" in my car in the heat?

I have some bottles in my car that'll be properly stored this evening but in the meantime they're just baking in my car. Direct sunlight isn't hitting them but it's still real hot in there. Is it going to be wrecked? Thanks!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Will bourbon "go bad" in my car in the heat?

I think they will be fine. I transported recently bottles that had been opened that endured (in a car trunk) temperatures of over 100 F. They tasted when cooled just as they did when I had opened them before departure.

Whiskey of course undergoes extremes of heat and cold in a barrel environment during aging.

One thing I noticed (which self-corrected) was the hot whiskey expanded quite a bit in the bottle, when the bottles were about 100 F the fill levels were an inch or two higher than at a normal temperature.

If you kept bottles for a long time at an elevated temperature, say for weeks or months, maybe some deterioration would occur but I don't think so, whiskey is almost half ethanol in most cases (and can reach or exceed that as we know). It seems hard to think you can hurt it in any way unless foreign odors are allowed to get in or it gets contaminated in some other way.

Gary

Taster

The bottles are in their factory sealed, never opened state.

Thank you very much. That's reassuring!

Connoisseur

There have been posts by some who said the corks loosened and the bottles leaked when subjected to the heat (following Gary's comment) but aside from loosing a dram you should be fine.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

At the recent unveiling of the new Woodford Reserve Master's Collection, they had three bottles set up for photographs, in the hot sun on a hot day for several hours. The cork started to come out of the bottle of wine. The two whiskey bottles were fine.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    At the recent unveiling of the new Woodford Reserve Master's Collection, they had three bottles set up for photographs, in the hot sun on a hot day for several hours. The cork started to come out of the bottle of wine. The two whiskey bottles were fine.
    Hot wine! Yummy

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle of WT 101 and forgot it in the van when I got home today. It was about 80...The van was left in direct sun for 4 hours and I am sure it was well over 100 in the van by the time I got back to it...when I moved the van and smelled the Bourbon I remembered leaving the WT on the back floor. It had been on its side when I left it. Cork was popped through the seal and I had maybe 1/8 of the bottle remaining not shot out the top? I guess I will leave the van home tonight when we go out to dinner.
    I am from the Pacific NW...I had no clue what that big fire ball in the sky was...
    I just stuck my Thermapen in the remaining WT...95
    Last edited by T47; 07-09-2007 at 16:02.
    Todd

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    I bought a bottle of WT 101 and forgot it in the van when I got home today. It was about 80...The van was left in direct sun for 4 hours and I am sure it was well over 100 in the van by the time I got back to it...when I moved the van and smelled the Bourbon I remembered leaving the WT on the back floor. It had been on its side when I left it. Cork was popped through the seal and I had maybe 1/8 of the bottle remaining not shot out the top? I guess I will leave the van home tonight when we go out to dinner.
    I am from the Pacific NW...I had no clue what that big fire ball in the sky was...
    I just stuck my Thermapen in the remaining WT...95
    I remember that happening to another member, forget who, only it was a bottle of Pappy 20, or was it Pappy 23? Poor guy. Not that I want to belittle your own loss, Todd.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Guru

Corks on WT bottles seem to be among the easiest to pull from the neck of the bottle. I hate having to wrestle with a cork. But In situations like these (stored in a hot vehicle) I would think that would be a liability.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    I remember that happening to another member, forget who, only it was a bottle of Pappy 20, or was it Pappy 23? Poor guy. Not that I want to belittle your own loss, Todd.
    Ed
    Guess I missed that entry in a thread! Live and learn, won't happen again...to this sucker...but as always, information to be useful must be shared...so if anyone else missed it then, here it is again!

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Corks on WT bottles seem to be among the easiest to pull from the neck of the bottle. I hate having to wrestle with a cork. But In situations like these (stored in a hot vehicle) I would think that would be a liability.
    I don't know what temp. the Bourbon was when it gave way? The van was parked on a hill, with the cork end of the bottle up hill. It came out with enough pressure that it emptied most of the bottle. I don't know if any cork would have stopped it? Eh, well, live and learn-if that's my worst Bourbon story in the end, I am a lucky man.

Todd