Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Disciple

Whiskey prices on the rise again

I heard today that some more whiskey price increases are coming to Ohio on Aug. 1st. Prime examples: JD black 1L and 1.75L up 1.00, Beams choice 750 up 2.00, Jim Beam black 750 up 1.65, Jim Beam white 1.75L up 3.20. These come on the heels of recent increases for Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare SB, Dickel barrel select and #12 as well as Wild Turkey. In the case of the Jim Beam 1.75L bottles, there is now only a 7.00 difference between the white and black labels whereas at the beginning of 2007 it was almost 11.00. With the price increase of the Beam black 750, there is now nearly a 6.50 spread between the black and white label, up from only 3.50 a year ago. I will definitely be buying the black label in 1.75's if I ever buy any Beam again. I'm certainly glad I have been accumulating bottle in recent years!

Thomas

Enthusiast

Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

Please, no one blame it on the rising cost of corn. Seriously, that's how it goes. Prices rise all the time.

One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that a company has but one obligation. That is to make money for it's shareholders. End of story. Everyone wants to blame Exxon Mobil for the extremely high fuel prices we are dealing with. Well, guess what. Exxon Mobil's job is to make money for it's shareholders. I think they're doing a remarkable job of it.

About 6 months ago I bought 3 bottles of Glenmorangie scotch. Three different finishes. Port wood, Sherry and Maderia. $43.99 per 750 ml. They now cost $51.99 for the same item at the same store. I assume they are still selling quite a bit of it or they would not be enjoying the pricing power they currently have. Every company want pricing power, not many have the luxury.

Chris

Might also be good to realize that Exxon makes less money as a percentage of income than Wal-Mart and a good number of other well-run companies. Its income (and market valuation) is just a bigger number.
    As for bourbon, I really don't complain too much about prices. It's a luxury item. If the price gets higher than I'm willing to pay, I buy something else. My only regret/concern about it is that too much of these increases seem to go into middle men's (distributors, especially) pockets, not the producers'.
    Tim

Guru

Yes, oil company profits are a thin margin. Want to know who makes a killing off high gas prices? State governments! Don't here much about that, do we? gosh I wonder why!

As for most of the price increases going to the 'middle men'; I here you. I wish we didn't have the three tier system?

Disciple

The thing that struck me as odd about these increases was the Beams choice 750. I was told that this brand was going to be discontinued. For well over a year this brand sold for the same price as the white label but is now back to 2.00 more than the white. Originally it only sold for about 1.00 more. Maybe they won't discontinue it but rather start exporting some of it or something. I'm not worried about the prices either, if it is more than I want to pay, I'll either wait for a sale or buy something else!

Thomas

Guru

I have often thought that with the popularity bourbon enjoys today, the projected shortage of old bourbons and "the suits", that bourbon prices (especially the old stuff) will continue to rise very quickly, as if to catch up with Scotch prices.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Taster

From a Bourbon-lover's POV, it is an advantage that Bourbon be considered an inferior drink by the rest of the world. I see no need to change the status quo regarding the prices and availability of Bourbons.

Having said that, perhaps the increased price of Rittenhouse Rye BIB over the last 2 years illustrates the efficiency of the market in matching price to demand.

Enthusiast

I still think that bourbon prices are pretty reasonable all things considered. I've tried many scotches in the last few years. More out of curiosity than anything else. Just like trying new things. I will admit that I don't think that I've tried the best that they have to offer as I can't really see paying upwards of $60.00 for a bottle of whiskey. Maybe later in life when I can see over the stack of bills.

I saw a thread dated about 5 years ago about prices in different locations and I'd like to maybe see an updated sampling. I've kept it down to just a small sampling of what I'd consider middle of the road pours that I would assume would make up the bulk of purchased on the forum. Feel free to add whatever you'd like.

Please give a location and a price if possible. Not sale prices, just regular every day cost. Also, all bottles are 750 ml.

Here in Massachusetts

Jim Beam Black $16.99
    Elijah Craig 12 yr. $19.99
    Knob Creek $22.99
    Makers Mark $21.99
    Wild Turkey 101 $17.99
    Van Winkle 12 yr. $42.99

I realize the Van Winkle may not be a middle pour but I'd still like to see the different prices from the different parts of the country. Or prices from other countries. Thanks,

Chris

Enthusiast

Whiskey prices on the rise again

Prices in Pennsylvania for the same bourbons are as follows:

Jim Beam Black $19.07
    Elijah Craig 12 yr. $28.61
    Knob Creek $29.67
    Makers Mark $24.37
    Wild Turkey 101 $21.19
    Van Winkle 12 yr. $34.97

The prices shown include PA sales tax.
    Doug

Enthusiast

Excellent thead Thomas!

From what I understand, the demand for Scotch and Bourbon has shot up - and with it, prices for both. Bourbon is still very affordable IMHO, but I'm not sure what the future will hold here as the world seems to be "discovering" bourbon. In Scotchy land, prices are beginning to rise, and I expect will continue to rise for the next 5-6 yrs.

What I can say about bourbon prices in Ontario is that they continue to be stable without any more selection coming in.