Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61
  1. #21
    Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    51

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    I wasn't real impressed with the bourbon selection at the duty free shop I was at a month ago. I ended up with a bottle of rum you can't buy in America. As the law stands right now, you must have a passport to travel by car to Canada by January 1st. The custom agent I talked to at the border predicted the law would be done away with beforehand.

  2. #22
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    396

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    The prices for scotch are supposed to go up at least 10% by year end due to demand. I look for bourbon to follow the same trend as most of the big drinks companies that own scotch brands have bourbon brands as well.
    Thomas
    Good point. I think the pricing for Bourbon will rebound as the supply will catch up to demand. You have to wait for 10-15yrs for Malt Scotch whisky to be saleable. Good bourbon takes a significantly shorter time (depending on which distillery that is).

  3. #23
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Alliance,Ohio
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    I placed an order with Binnys the othe day and was browsing the website and decided to look at my past order history. My first order was on January 25th of 2005. A.H. Hirsch was on sale for 39.99, Weller 12yr. was 14.99 and Weller Antique was 17.99. Today, A.H. Hirsch if in the stratosphere, Weller 12 is 24.99 and Weller Antique is 18.99. Quite a price rise in 3 years!

    Thomas

  4. #24
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    I can still find Weller 107 for $15 but have to travel to Montgomery Cnty, MD. to get it.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

  5. #25
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    1,597

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I placed an order with Binnys the othe day and was browsing the website and decided to look at my past order history. My first order was on January 25th of 2005. A.H. Hirsch was on sale for 39.99, Weller 12yr. was 14.99 and Weller Antique was 17.99. Today, A.H. Hirsch if in the stratosphere, Weller 12 is 24.99 and Weller Antique is 18.99. Quite a price rise in 3 years!

    Thomas
    Weller Antique has gone up $1, and the 12 has gone up $10....that's crazy. Although, in saying that, I would pay more for that stuff Brett selected!

    Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

  6. #26
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West of the Rockies
    Posts
    2,581

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    Back in California for the weekend I went out to see if WTAS had reached the area and was quite shocked to see some price increases. Pappy20 at a place that used to carry it for $69.99 is now $99.99! They said the distributor jacked up prices due to alleged shortage. Sorry BT et al I will not be paying that price for Pappy20. The current release of Handy $79.99, not going to pay that either! Current Stagg $59.99, maybe but doubt I will pay that either - thought it was great at $45 but at $60 not sure. Pappy 15 $69.99 - uh no - especially if I don't know what juice I am getting.

    C

    "everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

  7. #27

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Back in California for the weekend I went out to see if WTAS had reached the area and was quite shocked to see some price increases. Pappy20 at a place that used to carry it for $69.99 is now $99.99! They said the distributor jacked up prices due to alleged shortage. Sorry BT et al I will not be paying that price for Pappy20. The current release of Handy $79.99, not going to pay that either! Current Stagg $59.99, maybe but doubt I will pay that either - thought it was great at $45 but at $60 not sure. Pappy 15 $69.99 - uh no - especially if I don't know what juice I am getting.

    Well, Christian, I've had to pay $99 (or more, after sales tax) around here for some time. I won't rule it out till it's three figures, which won't be long.
    Anyway, the ones you note are nearing the end of their lives, anyway, I suspect. How much more 15yo bourbon does BT have that can be bottled as Stagg without a drop in quality? Will we care about Pappy 20 once it's no longer S-W whiskey?
    More and more today, I'm glad that even the lower shelves of bourbon/rye are quite respectable, because I think that's where a lot of my product will be coming from soon enough.
    Tim

  8. #28
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West of the Rockies
    Posts
    2,581

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Will we care about Pappy 20 once it's no longer S-W whiskey?
    Exactly Tim and hence the reason I will not pay much more than $45-50 for the 15 year old. I love the SW 15, I mean really love it and if I KNEW it was SW would pay upwards of $70. I know Julian wouldn't do it because of the obvious, but if there was some labeling to denote the difference I'd pay the high prices for the SW juice and more reasonable prices for whatever other stuff he picks out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    More and more today, I'm glad that even the lower shelves of bourbon/rye are quite respectable, because I think that's where a lot of my product will be coming from soon enough.
    Yep, I was just thinking this recently as well as hoping I can always find the upper shelf regulars such as Blanton's for reasonable prices.
    C

    "everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

  9. #29
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Taxachusetts
    Posts
    314

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    You folks are going to love this one. As I've already stated last week New Hampshire is running a sale on Elijah Craig 18 year old. I bought all of the stock at the store closer to me. 4 bottles for $23.99 each.

    This morning I get an email from a large local liquor store here in Mass. Their newsletter has a bottle of EC18 prominently displayed. There's a little caption box next to the picture telling you all about how good it is. then there is the price. Ready. $54.99 per 750 ml.

    They must be working with a pretty good markup at that store. I'm pretty confident I won't be hitting their shleves any time in the near future.

    Chris

  10. #30
    Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boulder Co., CO
    Posts
    54

    Re: Whiskey prices on the rise again

    GD gas prices! Whenever that goes up, all else follows.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Are these good prices
    By NickAtMartinis in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 05:23
  2. Bourbon prices
    By ratcheer in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 16:50
  3. Bourbon prices
    By jbutler in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-16-2002, 18:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top