Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Sorry. I have no really good explanation of why we went back to A on the label.
    Just wanted to keep you guys on your toes!!
    All the bottlings from the last 6 years have been the rye we have stored in a SS tank to stop aging. It's really 19 years old whiskey. So you are getting a hell of a deal-for now.
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by jvanwinkle View Post
    All the bottlings from the last 6 years have been the rye we have stored in a SS tank to stop aging. It's really 19 years old whiskey. So you are getting a hell of a deal-for now.
    Julian
    Hello
    Since Julian can't even give an explanation from the top. Maybe a newbe can even give it a try.

In vocal communication A is often misinterpeteded as J. As an example the Army never has a J company as it is confused with A in giving vocal orders. Could it be that simple a solution as somebody asking what is the new number to put on this run and someone said J and the recorder with maybe no history on the lettering routine wrongly hearing A. Simple answer may not be right . But let's hear a better reason... Since no one must of been checking why not ???? It is great Rye whisky even if it had P for a code letter . I love this website appreciate all of you !!! Pete

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

What a great theory, I wonder if you are right. Fascinating info anyway, thank you.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by jvanwinkle View Post
    Julian
    Julian, thank you for the clarification. I picked up bottles A001 and A002 several weeks ago in NYC - and was curious whether these were remnants forgotten and re-discovered in a warehouse or new stock. I have bottles open from releases D and F open and pour these often to introduce friends to the magnificence of American Rye.

SSWC

Enthusiast

A quick question:

When will the VW Rye be from freshly aged spirit?

I know the Saz 18 is a long way off, but what about a 13 year old? BT started new rye in, what, '99?
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Enthusiast

In thinking about this further, I realized that Sam's in Chicago has had a private Saz Jr. 10 y.o. for close to two years now. That means Buffalo Trace has at least 12 year old rye juice sitting in some barrels for Julian.

Now that I'm on this, I sure would like to see a mid-aged Rye out there in the market.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Disciple

I did a side by side today with Frankfurt B and H. The H is excellent from nose to finish while the B bottle also start off at least as good on the nose but dries out after a short time in the mouth and a lot of bitter tannins start too kick in. In the finish the B bottle are very woody and not pleasant at all.
    As I understand/think these bottles are both 19,5 years but B is 100% Medley and H is 50% Medley + 50 % Bernheim. It seems to me not only from these 2 bottles that the old Bernheim rye can stand lot more age than the ones from Medley.
    Reading this thread I have learned that the labelling has started all over again with A. I donít dare too post what I think about that.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

Leif,
    Your "B" bottling is only 15 years old. Strange that it would be woodier than the "H".
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Leif,
    Your "B" bottling is only 15 years old. Strange that it would be woodier than the "H".
    Joe
    Joe,

I did go mostly for the taste when I did assume it was 19 years. However the van Winkle did not join BT until 2002 and the whiskey is distilled 1984 or maybe 1985. That would make 15 years old theoretically impossible. It have to be at least 17 years old, but probably older.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

Leif,
    The first US release of VWFRR was in 1999. That was the "A" bottling at 14 y/o
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"