Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Bunk,

For $40 each there is no need to worry about the quality. Your already buying them at a discount.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Bunk,

For $40 each there is no need to worry about the quality. Your already buying them at a discount.
    Damn straight. Snap them up.

Anyone know if it's really an 18yr old rye (as I've heard mentioned) and that the VW's are waiting for their barrels to mature to 13 yrs before swapping in that juice. If so, 18 yr old ryes are close to $80 like BMH and so even at $56 that's a steal.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Hey guys, I grabbed the last three VWFRR at $42 each (went up $2 due to Illinois' ridiculous new "sin" tax on alcohol). They are "I" bottlings, so hold old is the juice again? Can't wait to sample tonight.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Anyone know if it's really an 18yr old rye (as I've heard mentioned) and that the VW's are waiting for their barrels to mature to 13 yrs before swapping in that juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk
    how old is this juice again?
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...2&postcount=77

Guru

Thanks for the info, Skunk. To get 19 year old whiskey for $42 is a great deal any way you cut it. I had two pours of the VWFRR last night and was really knocked out. I know that age statements must reflect the youngest aged whiskey in the bottle, but I'm curious why Mr. Van Winkle would label the VWFRR as a 13 year old whiskey if the contents of the bottle are a mix of 19 year old Medley and, at least from what I gathered reviewing the other thread provided by Skunk, COK juice that has been identified as being either 17 or 19 years old. So why 13 then?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    So why 13 then?

As Vange said in the first post in this thread: "From what I understand, this has to do with having to register new labels for each state, pay each state's licensing fees, etc., so why print new labels and go through all that expense and hassle every year?".

I suppose you could argue that once it became the 19yo blend it is now, they could have made a new label and gotten 13 years of use out of it without re-registering etc. The only problem would be that in 2017, when the BT distillate is ready, it would go from a 19 year age statement back to 13 year. The consumers would then say 'we were getting 19yo for x amount, and they still want x amount even though it's only 13yo now, what a rip!' Instead, those of us in-the-know can enjoy what Julian Van Winkle described up-thread as "a hell of a deal", and probably with less scarcity than if it were on shelves for <$60 with a 19 YEAR OLD VAN WINKLE FRR label.

Anyway, I'm _really_ enjoying my H version, but at 59.97 I don't think I'll be replacing it any time soon. I feel fortunate just to have tasted it and hope that my memory will suffice. $42 dollars really is a hell of a deal though.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    As Vange said in the first post in this thread: "From what I understand, this has to do with having to register new labels for each state, pay each state's licensing fees, etc., so why print new labels and go through all that expense and hassle every year?".

I suppose you could argue that once it became the 19yo blend it is now, they could have made a new label and gotten 13 years of use out of it without re-registering etc. The only problem would be that in 2017, when the BT distillate is ready, it would go from a 19 year age statement back to 13 year. The consumers would then say 'we were getting 19yo for x amount, and they still want x amount even though it's only 13yo now, what a rip!' Instead, those of us in-the-know can enjoy what Julian Van Winkle described up-thread as "a hell of a deal", and probably with less scarcity than if it were on shelves for <$60 with a 19 YEAR OLD VAN WINKLE FRR label.

Anyway, I'm _really_ enjoying my H version, but at 59.97 I don't think I'll be replacing it any time soon. I feel fortunate just to have tasted it and hope that my memory will suffice. $42 dollars really is a hell of a deal though.
    I believe that the same rationale can be made for the Michter's 10 yr rye. At least, up until a year or so ago. If I have the story correct, it is from the same 17-19 yr old COK juice, but the bottler (Chatham, I believe?) kept the 10 yr designation because of the label re-registration issue. Anyone, please correct me if I'm off, here.
    I was lucky to pick up a couple of bottles a few years ago at $29. Most savvy retailers have learned of the story, and have them in the high $70-80's, now. Which leads me to really belive that changing labels must be a royal Pain in the Arse.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

I could be completely off base here, but Julian did say that it was 13 year old whiskey that was being stored in a stainless steel tank, right? so saying that it is getting older and older- that you're basically buying 18 year old rye, and it's such a great deal- that's not exactly right, is it?

My understanding is that once you remove the whiskey from the oak barrels and put it in a stainless steel vat, it isn't technically aging anymore. Any changes will occur because of the amount of oxidation occuring in the whiskey. the greater amount you remove, the greater amount the surface area (which is oxidizing) accounts for the remainder, and therefore, the more the newer bottlings will change until you have to start the cycle over. Changes may and probably will occur, but they wouldn't be related to aging...?

ON this same note, because it IS being stored in stainless, wouldn't it be... somehow improper, false advertising, or even "against the rules" to call it 16, 17, 18. or 19 year old whiskey?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but I thought that once the whiskey was out of the barrel and quit cycling in and out of the oak, it was done aging. calling it "19 year old rye" would be like saying that because it's been in a glass bottle for X years it's actually X + Y year old whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by jvanwinkle View Post
    Sorry. I have no really good explanation of why we went back to A on the label.
    Just wanted to keep you guys on your toes!!
    All the bottlings from the last 6 years have been the rye we have stored in a SS tank to stop aging. It's really 19 years old whiskey. So you are getting a hell of a deal-for now.
    Julian
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    I could be completely off base here, but Julian did say that it was 13 year old whiskey that was being stored in a stainless steel tank, right? so saying that it is getting older and older- that you're basically buying 18 year old rye, and it's such a great deal- that's not exactly right, is it?

My understanding is that once you remove the whiskey from the oak barrels and put it in a stainless steel vat, it isn't technically aging anymore. Any changes will occur because of the amount of oxidation occuring in the whiskey. the greater amount you remove, the greater amount the surface area (which is oxidizing) accounts for the remainder, and therefore, the more the newer bottlings will change until you have to start the cycle over. Changes may and probably will occur, but they wouldn't be related to aging...?

ON this same note, because it IS being stored in stainless, wouldn't it be... somehow improper, false advertising, or even "against the rules" to call it 16, 17, 18. or 19 year old whiskey?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but I thought that once the whiskey was out of the barrel and quit cycling in and out of the oak, it was done aging. calling it "19 year old rye" would be like saying that because it's been in a glass bottle for X years it's actually X + Y year old whiskey.
    I think you are right in everything except the age of the whiskey when it was tanked on steel Erik. As I have heard it directly from Julian and from several posts here it was tanked at an age of 19, 5 years.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    I think you are right in everything except the age of the whiskey when it was tanked on steel Erik. As I have heard it directly from Julian and from several posts here it was tanked at an age of 19, 5 years.

Leif

aaahhh. looking back over Julian's post, I now see what you are saying. that's what happens when you enjoy a pour or four of PVW 15 while trying to make sense of an internet forum....
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.