Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

For the VWFRR, it's never enough.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Enthusiast

I still can't find any of this around town and have been to a bunch of the stores that usually have large inventories. Any MI hounds got any suggestions?

Guru

The VWFRR is definitely tricky to find, at least around here. But I did snag one on Monday for $40 and still have two in the bunker. Hooray!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

I'd love to find one for $40. I knew a place that used to have it for $40 but in the last year it's gone from $40 to $44 to $49 to $58.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    I'd love to find one for $40. I knew a place that used to have it for $40 but in the last year it's gone from $40 to $44 to $49 to $58.
    That is the case with all Van Winkle bottles that I have seen. Not just the Rye.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Virtuoso

I was going to bunker a few when it was $44 but I figured there was no hurry. I was way off the mark. I did buy a few for $58 but I'm not sure how much higher I'd go and I hope the other bottlings don't follow suit.

I know that some retailers really jack up the prices on some bottlings and will see the same bottle go between $40 and $80 or $80 to $130 for something like PVW20. This is when it's time to retreat to the bunker.
    Keep your overpriced whiskey...I have enough to last for some time.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    Keep your overpriced whiskey...I have enough to last for some time.
    You do mean "a lifetime," right Tommy? I was lucky on the $40 VWFRR. The price hadn't changed since the last time I was in this store which was before the tax increase in Illinois last September. It was actually tucked away a bit on the shelf and was no doubt overlooked somehow when they re-priced everything last year. I drink this juice slowly to conserve it, usually in rotation with T. Handy Sazerac and Michter's 10 which I also really enjoy, so I'm pretty well set now on my top shelf ryes. (I've got a few of the other two bunkered as well.)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

I only have one left and no chance of getting any more now that I'm in Canada. I promised myself I wouldn't open it until I get another... and I do look longingly at it. UncleBunk, is the Michter 10 really good?
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

I enjoy the Michters 10. I find it similiar to the VWFRR.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I only have one left and no chance of getting any more now that I'm in Canada. I promised myself I wouldn't open it until I get another... and I do look longingly at it. UncleBunk, is the Michter 10 really good?
    Yes, James. The Michter's 10 Year Old Rye (not to be confused with the Michter's US1 Rye) is excellent but unfortunately quite pricey. The juice is considerably older than 10 years, as has been established in other threads concerning this product, so it compares well to Sazerac 18 despite obvious differences in character.