Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Looking over a few of these posts, I think it's time to crack open a bottle of VWFRR. I've seen it in a few outlets but have only seen the 2007 "I" series bottling for some reason.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Van Winkle iterations that are described as 18- or 19-years-old were in wood that long. Then he put them in stainless steel. He also never changed the label. I don't believe anyone is counting time in stainless as 'aging,' although Julian was concerned about the affects of oxidation in stainless and speculated about using an inert gas as an air seal, but I don't know if he ever did it. Nothing has ever officially been claimed to be 18- or 19-years-old, but it was commonly known that some of the whiskey he bottled was that old. When Julian thought it was too old he sold it to KBD, who bottled it up as various very old ryes and in at least one case, Julian admitted that if he had known the whiskey was going to go that way with additional aging, he wouldn't have sold it.

Virtuoso

Thanks Chuck. I have to say drinking a "G" bottling that it certainly tastes like it has aged 18 yrs or so. I don't know if these bottlings are in fact that old but I am stunned by how good it is for certain.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Thanks Chuck. I have to say drinking a "G" bottling that it certainly tastes like it has aged 18 yrs or so. I don't know if these bottlings are in fact that old but I am stunned by how good it is for certain.
    Me too! Eighteen years in the wood is a long, long time, yet the whiskey doesn't suffer for it at all. Amazing stuff that I plan on savoring slowly over time to make it last. (I have the "I" bottling--four to be exact--which should hold me a while.)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The Van Winkle iterations that are described as 18- or 19-years-old were in wood that long. Then he put them in stainless steel. He also never changed the label. I don't believe anyone is counting time in stainless as 'aging,' although Julian was concerned about the affects of oxidation in stainless and speculated about using an inert gas as an air seal, but I don't know if he ever did it. Nothing has ever officially been claimed to be 18- or 19-years-old, but it was commonly known that some of the whiskey he bottled was that old. When Julian thought it was too old he sold it to KBD, who bottled it up as various very old ryes and in at least one case, Julian admitted that if he had known the whiskey was going to go that way with additional aging, he wouldn't have sold it.

yeah.... I mis-read something and stuck my foot deep into my mouth. this happens occasionally, and I cough up bits of shoe for the next couple of weeks thereafter typically. Eh, I figure it's good for me, not like I get a rubber intake very regularly anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Disciple

I did have a side by side of an I and a K bottle a couple of weeks ago. They were quit different despite coming from the same tank. The I bottle had a better nose and a much chewier and sweeter taste, but was over woody in the finish. The K bottle was lighter in general and had a lot of citrus notes. The finish was long and appetising. I did like the K slightly better due to the nice finish.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

I had to come and reread this thread, since I just picked up my very first bottle of VWFRR. It turns out that my bottle is somewhat of a dusty....D2883. It tastes very good!

Virtuoso

And I recently picked up a new "A" bottle and enjoye it as much as the other bottles i've tried recently.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    And I recently picked up a new "A" bottle and enjoye it as much as the other bottles i've tried recently.
    All 3 bottles that I've picked up in Maryland over the past year or so have an A on them. Have they really been on the shelf, or sitting around a warehouse, since 1999?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    All 3 bottles that I've picked up in Maryland over the past year or so have an A on them. Have they really been on the shelf, or sitting around a warehouse, since 1999?
    NO The lettering system started over again. Nice try Julian.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"