Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

I hope a reason Rittenhouse is in short supply is because Heaven Hill is holding back some barrels for extra aging.
    This seems logical enough to me and is the story I'm sticking with. I agree that VWFRR is the best of the VW lineup and potentially the rye category altogether, but I am very thankful for Rittenhouse. It helps get me through the year. I've done side by side comparisons between the two enough times to know that Rittenhouse is an outstanding product. To see it in a 10 year or barrel proof form (or both) would make me an even happier Rittenhouse customer than I already am.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    VWFRR still my favorite VW product.
    Every time I reach for it, it hits the spot like no other. Either I've gotten really good at knowing when to pull it out, or it always delivers. I think a little of both.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Every time I reach for it, it hits the spot like no other. Either I've gotten really good at knowing when to pull it out, or it always delivers. I think a little of both.
    I have 3 in the bunker. It pains me every time I think about the opportunity I had early in my bourbon career to buy a case and I passed.

I still rue the day.

When the kid was born in January and we came back from the hospital after 3 days I had my SIL and BIL here from England and Canada respectively. I had not had a drink in 5 days. We opened a bottle of VWFRR and that sucker was gone in less than 2 hours. Ahh but it was tasty.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

Reached for this one when I got home from work and am now thoroughly enjoying a pour. To me, this shows more oak than the 20 or the 23 year bourbons.

Nose - OAK with spices such as clove, cinnamon, pepper. Fruits such as apple, pear, and slight citrus. Flowers from honeysuckle to roses as well.

Taste - Dry and bitter oak on the front. A strong spice with a light sweetness throughout.

Finish - A very long, dry, spicy finish. Lots of oak. Clove, anise, cocoa. A bit of nuttiness hangs on at the end with walnuts and almonds.

I can't say enough about this one...

Connoisseur

Just got my first bottle of VWFRR today and had a drink. What a unique rollercoaster of flavors. Oddly, there are some flavors in it that are in common with a few of the bottles of Michter's Pot Still whiskey I have. On the tongue it was almost buttery. It was light and slightly bitter. It changed quickly though into an earthy wood explosion. I agree, this rye has more wood notes than most bourbons that are 5 to 10 years older. It's pure wood and char with shadows of a dry, spicy rye. Almost instantly after it's out of your mouth, it turns to a coffee, toffee, and caramel flavor that lingers for quite a while. Certainly something to reach for when I'm looking for a complex, slow sipper. Not for the American whiskey novice- it may just knock your socks off.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I agree, this rye has more wood notes than most bourbons that are 5 to 10 years older.

The VWFRR 13 is really 18 yrs old it was tanked when it got to be 18 yrs.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

I've tried three different bottlings of the VW rye in the past couple weeks, a B bottle from the current allocation, an A bottle from the past couple of years, and a G bottle that I found in the boonies. We were blown away how different the G was from the A and B bottles. It had a ton more sweet, oaky influence to it compared to the A and B. Granted, they were all amazing, but the G was really something else.

I've also got an older B bottle laying around... I think this may be from the original run of letters because it is written in pencil vs. ink like the newer ones.

Connoisseur

How do the letters work again? Did they start over again at A recently?
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    How do the letters work again? Did they start over again at A recently?
    Yes, and now up to "B" again... I believe it started over after H or I - although I've never seen either H or I, but I've covered most of the letters aside from those two over the years.

Not one bottle of any lettering was anything less than spectacular. Even the older A,B,C,etc. stuff (that is technically younger whiskey) is sublime.

Virtuoso

I believe it went from "I" to "A".
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz