Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Boozer, you are exactly right about the lettering - the way I worded my post was very confusing. The bottles from this year are the reused series B, which is the latest. There is no reused series C yet. This means the bottle without the rear label, if legit, would have to be from around 2001.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 06-16-2012 at 07:16.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Boozer, you are exactly right about the lettering - the way I worded my post was very confusing. The bottles from this year are the reused series B, which is the latest. There is no reused series C yet. This means the bottle without the rear label, if legit, would have to be from around 2001.
    Does the label say Frankfort or Lawrenceburg? If you have a Lawrenceburg it is definitely an older bottle. I have a "C" bottle from L'burg (I guess this is a case of label run over if it is in fact from 2001). It has a govt warning sticker on the back and a small ball code. The back stickers are different than what is on the current bottles. This bottle also came with a hangtag that had a small plastic bag with some rye grain stapled to it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Yeah, it would have to be. The bottles I picked up this year had a B label. The bottle would appear to have been from around 2001. If legit, this would mean it is 16 year Medley.
    According to recent interviews with Julian the rye is still tanked medley/COK

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    According to recent interviews with Julian the rye is still tanked medley/COK
    Yeah, again the way I phrased that paragraph was poor and made it a bit confusing - I blame the WT101 I was sipping on! The bottles that were available this year were the B "2.0" series. You are exactly right that this was tanked Medley/CoK that is probably 18-19 years old. As of now, the C series has only been used once and that was around 2001 or so (although I would expect a new C series shows up this Fall). This is a different whiskey and is thought to be a pre-tanked and younger Medley of around 16 years of age. It sounds like people that have had it say it tastes a bit different from the newer stuff.

Bradley, that C series bottle label said it was from Frankfort, not Lawrenceburg.

Disciple

Having some for father's day. Tell me, is there a better American Whiskey?? Of current releases, I'm not sure.

Guru

Can't find it now so I put it here but I seem to recall reading recently that someone speculated that VWFRR tasted different now than it did in older bottlings and that perhaps BT was "supplementing" what is in the tank with other BT rye. Anybody else recall that or remember reading a recent post about that?

Since the label says 13yo rye I presume anything added, if it were in fact true, would have to be at least 13yo rye, correct? Does BT even have any 13yo rye in the warehouse? If so, wouldn't it be most likely intended for the replacement of Saz 18? Although I would suppose they would be working on a replacement for the VWFRR as well? Most likely the same stuff?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru
    Here is a recent one by TimD:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=18670

Another by StraightNoChaser:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...t.php?p=293565

I'm interested in this subject also as this is the first year I've been able to source VWFRR.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-11-2012 at 20:02.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Here is a recent one by TimD:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=18670

Another by StraightNoChaser:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...t.php?p=293565

I'm interested in this subject also as this is the first year I've been able to source VWFRR.
    Thanks. The first one was the one I was trying to locate. The second link also helps remind me that the last report we have on VWFRR was that it was still the same stuff according to those who should know (which doesn't necessarily mean it is I suppose).

I know Winkle World is always a hot button topic but it was a curiosity that at least some thought the rye had changed over time. I suppose tank life ain't all it's cracked up to be and perhaps that alone could be having an impact on the taste profile.

That said, what I have had in the past was delightful and I would likely still buy a bottle or three given the opportunity.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

Looking for a little insight.

In January 2012 I purchased two bottles of VWFRR while in England. Bottle has an "A" code. Frankfort, KY.

In November 2011 I purchased a bottle of VWFRR in the US. Bottle has an "B" code. Frankfort, KY.

I know it is silly to try and determine the meaning behind the VW bottle numbers but the differences between the two bottles is pretty staggering.

The VWFRR (A bottle) from England has a weird chemical after taste to it. The VWFRR (B bottle) from the US has a taste that matches what I've had at various bars over the past few years.

Anybody notice a big difference between A and B bottles? Could the shipping to Europe mess with the contents? Was last years bottling part of new stock?

Not trying to stir up anything, just looking for feedback.

Connoisseur

On his WhiskeyWonka site, Aaron also noted he thought there was a big difference between the A and B bottlings.