Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Afraid to crack open that precious bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye? Not me! The other night CaptainQ and I put the VWFRR B and C bottlings head to head. I also did it again this afternoon to ensure my palate did not change; the results were the same. While close, there were differences in the bottlings. The C bottle was open about a week prior to this tasting and the B bottle was open about three weeks, I do not think oxidation was a factor.

Color: The color is exactly the same – they are both a nice dark russet color.

Nose: The difference on the nose of these two releases was the first thing that tipped me there might be some differences. While the profiles were close, the difference was in how much more open and fragrant the B bottling was. The B bottle had a lot of tobacco and wood scent in the mix, really outstanding. In comparison, the C bottling was much more subdued and closed; it did not quite inspire the wow factor that the B did.

Palate: The B bottling packed a stellar amount of creeping rye spice and a little of that rough around the edges characteristic I appreciate in a good rye. The C bottling was a bit smoother overall, which some might appreciate. The C lacked some of the spiciness of the B, but it showed a touch more sweetness in the form of noticeable dark fruit characteristics. VWFRR is known for being quite creamy, and they both faired well in that regard, neither one seemed hotter or thinner than the other.

Finish: The B bottling had an impeccable finish with the spice fading to wood and a hint of dark cherry. For me, the finish on the C bottling had more “green wood” taste to it than the B - the C seemed a touch more bitter.

Overall, the B bottle gets my nod. However, I have to stress that the differences, while present, are subtle - unless the two were had at the same sitting, it would be nearly impossible to tell. While I did not think tanked whiskey changed enough to be noticeable, apparently it does. I think a future tasting will involve a couple different years of Saz18 to see if I pick up differences there too.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 12-30-2012 at 19:03. Reason: At Lostbottle's request

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post

Afraid to crack open that precious bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye? Not me! The other night CaptainQ I put the VWFRR B and C bottlings head to head. I also did it again this afternoon to ensure my palate did not change; the results were the same. While close, there were differences in the bottlings. The C bottle was open about a week prior to this tasting and the B bottle was open about three weeks, I do not think oxidation was a factor.

Color: The color is exactly the same – they are both a nice dark russet color.

Nose: The difference on the nose of these two releases was the first thing that tipped me there might be some differences. While the profiles were close, the difference was in how much more open and fragrant the B bottling was. The B bottle had a lot of tobacco and wood scent in the mix, really outstanding. In comparison, the C bottling was much more subdued and closed; it did not quite inspire the wow factor that the B did.

Palate: The B bottling packed a stellar amount of creeping rye spice and a little of that rough around the edges characteristic I appreciate in a good rye. The C bottling was a bit smoother overall, which some might appreciate. The C lacked some of the spiciness of the B, but it showed a touch more sweetness in the form of noticeable dark fruit characteristics. VWFRR is known for being quite creamy, and they both faired well in that regard, neither one seemed hotter or thinner than the other.

Finish: The B bottling had an impeccable finish with the spice fading to wood and a hint of dark cherry. For me, the finish on the C bottling had more “green wood” taste to it than the B - the C seemed a touch more bitter.

Overall, the B bottle gets my nod. However, I have to stress that the differences, while present, are subtle - unless the two were had at the same sitting, it would be nearly impossible to tell. While I did not think tanked whiskey changed enough to be noticeable, apparently it does. I think a future tasting will involve a couple different years of Saz18 to see if I pick up differences there too.
    A very educational SBS of 'B' and 'C'. Sounds like the 'B' bottling may have benefited from a little air time? Great to see the distinguished palate of "The Capt'n" present!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Thx for the comparison! I'm looking forward to opening my bottle in a few weeks.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Nice work Lost, thanks for the compare!

Novice

I was fortunate to find a couple of these in Florida. Thank god my scouts (friends who dont drink what I like) found some for me. I over paid for them but don't really care. I've never seen a bottle on a shelf anywhere and now that I'm in NC all the pappy goes to the restaurants so it's even harder.

Loved the maple and spice on the the rye, mine are all B bottles.

Guru

Hey Johnny, welcome aboard, drop by the introduction forum and introduce yourself.

Advanced Taster

Howdy all, its been a while, but I did a little more homework, and made an update to the chart. Too bad I haven't been able to get any of this in the last 3 years!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

There were some "c" and "d" bottles released this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    There were some "c" and "d" bottles released this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got a C from 2012 so they really stretched out that bottling run. Bottle code is different from the VW bourbons. Mine just says "B1211" Assume this is Nov of 12?
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    Howdy all, its been a while, but I did a little more homework, and made an update to the chart. Too bad I haven't been able to get any of this in the last 3 years!!!
    Thanks for the original and the update!
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel