Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 331
  1. #51
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chiba, Japan
    Posts
    611

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    The first US release of VWFRR was in 1999. That was the "A" bottling at 14 y/o
    I wonder how different the new A Label VWFRR is from the the unlettered series still available here in Japan.

    ACDetroit, what say you?

  2. #52
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,829

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I wonder how different the new A Label VWFRR is from the the unlettered series still available here in Japan.
    13 years old vs. 19 1/2 years old. Should be an obvious difference IMO.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

    "Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

  3. #53
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    paradise Miyazaki, Japan
    Posts
    1,071

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I just bought No. 1053 in Japan today. No letters whatsoever.

    Letters or no, it is an amazing drink.
    Small world. Our club got No. 1057 to share a couple weeks ago. A free taste of it recruited a couple more members. It's really so excellent.

  4. #54
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chiba, Japan
    Posts
    611

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    Small world. Our club got No. 1057 to share a couple weeks ago. A free taste of it recruited a couple more members. It's really so excellent.
    This is amazing drink. I have gone thru more of these than any other whisky.

  5. #55
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Japan, (American)
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    Atilla, Edo, do you guys find this on the shelves where you are? I have never found VWFRR 13 up here in Sapporo, but have been able to order it on line.

    Amazing whiskey, isn't it? All I have of it right now is 300 ml that I decanted into a well rinsed shochu bottle last winter, I think. I will have to order more and open the bottle I already have. It isn't doing me any good inside a bottle.

    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

    Go Fighters!

  6. #56
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chiba, Japan
    Posts
    611

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    Its on rakuten.com (particularly Kawachiya) for 4,000 yen. Some guy keeps trying to sell some at auction for 7,000 yen, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    Atilla, Edo, do you guys find this on the shelves where you are? I have never found VWFRR 13 up here in Sapporo, but have been able to order it on line.

    Amazing whiskey, isn't it? All I have of it right now is 300 ml that I decanted into a well rinsed shochu bottle last winter, I think. I will have to order more and open the bottle I already have. It isn't doing me any good inside a bottle.

    Ed

  7. #57
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    paradise Miyazaki, Japan
    Posts
    1,071

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    I got mine through Kawachiya, too. I was just about to order more, but ...

    http://www.rakuten.co.jp/kawachi/428...449882/#404992

    dammit. There is no more.


    The numbers should have been a tip off. We bought #1057 to share. I bought #1055 for personal use. Attila mentioned he had #1053 and #1051 is in the Kawachiya photo.

    Is it possible there were only 10 bottles ever shipped to Japan?

    The horror!

  8. #58
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chiba, Japan
    Posts
    611

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    I got mine through Kawachiya, too. I was just about to order more, but ...

    http://www.rakuten.co.jp/kawachi/428...449882/#404992

    dammit. There is no more.


    The numbers should have been a tip off. We bought #1057 to share. I bought #1055 for personal use. Attila mentioned he had #1053 and #1051 is in the Kawachiya photo.

    Is it possible there were only 10 bottles ever shipped to Japan?

    The horror!
    A lot more than 10. I am sure.

  9. #59
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    paradise Miyazaki, Japan
    Posts
    1,071

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    All I have of it right now is 300 ml that I decanted into a well rinsed shochu bottle last winter, I think.
    Why did you do that? Why decant?

  10. #60
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Japan, (American)
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

    To reduce the effect, if any, of air on the whiskey during long term storage. There is some debate on whether there is an effect and if that is necessarily a bad thing. Rather than leave a couple of fingers rye in the bottom of a bottle I decanted it while the bottle was still freshly opened. I didn't think I would be able to get it again, at least not soon. That was at least a year ago. The pour I had the other day was very nice! Unfortunately, it is a 200 ml bottle, not a 300 ml bottle as I had thought.

    I bought my bottles, I think I got two, from http://www.sake-brutus.com/ If I hadn't been underemployed at the time I would have tried to clean them out.

    They don't have any VWFRR 13 listed now, But they do have VW Olde Time Rye 12 yo. I had a bottle of that and it was wonderful, but not as good as the VWFRR 13 in my opinion. I have never had any of the VWFRR 13 yo that contain older rye.

    Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

    Go Fighters!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Old Rip van Winkle family reserve rye
    By nor02lei in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-28-2008, 21:21
  2. Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve
    By arsbadmojo in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 16:13
  3. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
    By DrinkyBanjo in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 07:00
  4. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 years old
    By DavidNelson in forum Other American Whiskey Tastings
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 14:44
  5. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
    By cowdery in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 19:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top