Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bookers

Novice

Bookers

My dad just bought a bottle of Booker's and only realized when he got home that it was around 125 proof. My question is, is it suggested that this be tried with water, considering the insane alcohol content?

Guru

Re: Bookers

Nothing insane about 125 proof. But go ahead and add a bit of room temperature water if you aren't use to over-proof spirits. In any case proceed with small sips and enjoy.

I drink Bookers the same as every other bourbon I drink: with three cubes of ice. I find that I like the coolness of the bourbon and this is how I enjoy it. Products like Bookers and OGD 114 stand up well to the dillution the ice offers, while things like EWSB don't do so well...

Bookers is a very tasty bourbon with a lot to offer. What is really special is that you are getting the product undilluted out of the barrel, which gives you a chance to taste the full flavor that bourbon has available.

For some the "burn" is too much. That may be you guys. But try it neat first, just a small amount. Next try it with some ice, and see how you like it. If it's still too much, then by all means add water in small amounts until you find how you like it.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
    But try it neat first, just a small amount. Next try it with some ice, and see how you like it. If it's still too much, then by all means add water in small amounts until you find how you like it.

Joel
    This is good advice for just about any bourbon. Try it straight; then try with a little water added. I's amazing how this can "open up" a pour and bring out the complexity of flavors.

This can be especially true of the very high proof iterations, which can deden the taste buds.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
    Bookers is a very tasty bourbon with a lot to offer. What is really special is that you are getting the product undilluted out of the barrel, which gives you a chance to taste the full flavor that bourbon has available.
    I agree with this 100%. With the agressive flavour profile of Bookers, I've generally watered it down some trying to get to 100 proof. Even taking it down further, the flavour is still pretty full-on compared to what I'm used to.

Connoisseur

It has been a while since I've had Bookers, the last time was a few years ago when I was first getting into bourbon. Anyway, I remember that at times I was bothered by the burn a little bit and I found that simply holding the snifter and letting the palm of my hand warm it up (give it a little while) seemed to make this go away so my suggestion would be to do that with a little in the glass (the less you have the faster it should warm) and take small sips. It was actually with this bourbon that I stumbled upon the value of letting it warm up in my hand, if I recall correctly it really brought out the flavors in this one. Water is probably not a bad idea but I've never added it to any bourbon.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Novice

Thumbs up Re: Bookers

My friend and I had it last night with a splash of water; night and day.Straight, it's muted, almost odorless and flavorless. A little water turns it into a wondrous creation. Thanks for the advice guys, now I love this bottle!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I know I'm late in replying, but I always think it's important to give people permission to add water to their whiskey. Everyone is entitled to their personal tastes but no one is entitled to make others feel obliged to drink their spirits straight. Room temperature water is the best thing to use for tasting purposes (cold dulls the taste buds). Dilution up to 1:1 still provides a lot of flavor.

I recommend the following.

Nose the whiskey neat. Take one or more very small sips. Then add a little water. Nose again and taste. Add more water if necessary.

Novice

The forum is called straightbourbon after all : )

Virtuoso

I ran across a couple Bottles of Bookers the other day in the all wood box. No plastic sleeve lid. I'm sure these are older bottlings. Should I grab them? Will they be any better than the newer stuff? I know that is the case with some not all out there today!

Thanks for you help (in advance).

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"