Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Four Roses Salutes Rutledge with "Barrel Strength" Limited-Edition Bourbon

In September, during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, Four Roses will release a new, limited-edition, single barrel bourbon in honor of Master Distiller Jim Rutledge's 40th anniversary in the industry. Only 1,700 bottles will be filled. Each will be hand-numbered. The bourbon will be 13 1/2 years old, bottled uncut and unfiltered. The proof will be 104.2. Right now, at least, they're calling it simply Four Roses Barrel Strength.

As a single barrel, this represents just one of Four Rose's ten "flavors." They haven't said yet which one. This also will be the oldest Four Roses product on the market, at least here in the US. I haven't seen final packaging yet, so I don't know if there's going to be an age statement on the label, but they're saying 13.5. No Four Roses product, at least none sold in the US, carries an age statement.

I have tasted it. It's very good, as you might expect, and is well-balanced as you expect of anything from Four Roses. Surprisingly, considering its age, there is very little taste of char, none of soot, and none of the astringency that is expected from something this old. It is on the dry side, showing a lot of spice. I'll go out on a limb and guess it's the high rye mash bill and "spicy" yeast.

Since Four Roses is only sold in Kentucky and metro New York, those are the only markets that will get the Barrel Strength product.

Rutledge, by the way, isn't retiring or anything. They're just marking the 40-year milestone.

Here's an interesting fact from the press release. Four Roses sales in its two US markets has doubled each year since the brand's reintroduction in 2002.

Virtuoso

Re: Four Roses Salutes Rutledge with "Barrel Strength" Limited-Edition Bourbon

I've been really looking forward to the announcement from Four Roses; it has seemed almost too good to be true.

Hey moderators - will the press release be placed up in the "Industry News" forum? I'll be interested to see if it'll be a Kentucky only release, or if all states in their distribution will get it.

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I had an email from FR this morning about this...it doesn't say specifically that it won't be everywhere, but 1500 bottles won't go far...remember Wt Tribute was just under 5000...how hard was that to find?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

That is a point that I was going to make. I don't think it will make it to many shelves even in the KY and NY metro markets either.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

Jim Rutledge assured me that there will be an allocation to the NYC area when this product is released. I'll definitely be following this up as I tasted it last weekend at the Mellow Moments event and thought it was FANTASTIC!

Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

The Rutledge email today sounded like it will be available for tasting at the "Let's Talk Bourbon" event Sept. 14 at Four Roses, during the Festival. Might be a chance to taste it if you're attending the Fest, even if you aren't able to get a bottle.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Chuck, the 40th anniversary bottling is the 20% rye mashbill with the "O" yeast.
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Very cool, I hope one of our group can snag one of these for Gazebo upcoming.

Gary

Can't think of anything I have been more anxious to taste!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

yeah, this is exciting.
    ovh