Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: Four Roses Salutes Rutledge with "Barrel Strength" Limited-Edition Bourbon

Barrel 17-1A 104.0 proof

Disciple

Barrel 15-1B 100.4 proof

Virtuoso

Barrel 17-10 51.1% 377/1442

The Liquor Barn on Hurstbourn in Louisville had at least two cases out. They are selling them for $60.

Connoisseur

Okay, but what I want to know is, has anybody tasted it? I saw Randy's note that it's good, but I want to know more.
    Thoughts? Notes? Anyone else?

Ahh...I'm just jealous that I'm not there.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

OK Tim.....I'll add a little commentary. On the nose, its completely consistent with FR SB. The initial taste is also consistent.......spicy with some floral notes coming over from the nose. The 13 1/2 years of age show up to me as additional weight and body.....and finally in a drier finish than their younger SB. I like it alot. I like the regular SB too. This is excellent whiskey.

Randy

Connoisseur

Great! Thanks, Randy. Sounds like everyone had a good time, and that this bottling was worth the anticipation. Looking forward to more impressions.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Randy has pegged the palate (at least the one on the Gazebo table and I assume all are broadly the same).

I got two, both 15-1B like Tom's, not tasted yet.

I would say because they are "big" in character as opposed to regular FR Single Barrel, they are particularly good for drinking on the rocks. The regular FRSB is great but seems attuned more to neat or "cut" sampling.

Gary

Taster

Some of these are lower in proof than the standard single barrel. Is the standard single barrel bottled at a higher proof, or is it approximately a barrel strength product as well?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The standard single is 100 proof. With the younger whiskies used, they have enough barrels at > 100 proof to dilute to 100.

Gary

Taster

One of Wild Tukey's marketing points is their low distillation proof. I have not seen similar marketing by Four Roses, although perhaps Four Roses is cut with even less water, given that Rare Breed is a little under 110 proof.