Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Four Roses Salutes Rutledge with "Barrel Strength" Limited-Edition Bourbon

I'm not sure what FR's distillation proof is. My guess would be they distill at 130-140 and let it down to 125 for the barrel. From there, the ones that do not increase in alcohol will go perhaps (over 6-7-8 years for the Single Barrel) down to 110 or less and as you suggest are reduced a bit to meet the 100 proof requirement for this brand. The ones at 13 years plus go lower simply because the process is going on that much longer (exterior humidity reduces the water coming out of the barrel while letting the alcohol out untramelled). But say they distill at around 110, well then the drop over 7 years might be to 105 and 100 or so for the older ones. In other words, I don't know the loss rate of ethanol and the distilling-out proof and am just giving examples of what I think happens but the first one is (in my belief) probably closer to the reality.

Connoisseur

So what seems to be the going price of this?
    Illuminati in training

$60.00

Gary

Enthusiast

I was puzzled at the low barrel proof of this edition. I wondered if Four Roses single story warehouses made the proof go down over time. He mentioned something about these barrels being from an experimental batch that may have been entered into the barrel at 100 proof. He then had to go and I didn't get any further info.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Apprentice

Is there anyone in the Bellevue, KY area that would be willing to pick up a bottle and ship it for me? I'm happy to pay in advance. Please? Pretty please?

Disciple

When I toured Four Roses last year, I was told that they distill to 140 proof and was even given ataste right off the still. The stuff I had was quite sweet tasting. I can't remember the what proof they barreled to!

Thomas

Interesting if they diluted to 100 from 140, Mike. In that case, the proof (as one would expect in Kentucky) would have gone up somewhat. I would think that is a fairly large dilution, but I don't really know of course. Maybe he meant they distilled and they entered at about 100?

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    $60.00

Gary
    $75.00 at Toddy's. He screwed us for the last time though.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Of the 9 I bought 8 were $60 one was $55
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    $75.00 at Toddy's. He screwed us for the last time though.
    Joe
    I can't believe you bought them! I drove around and picked some up priced appropriately at $59.99! One cent cheaper than at the Four Roses Breakfast What a deal!

Dawn