Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Re: Four Roses Salutes Rutledge with "Barrel Strength" Limited-Edition Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    But if they all taste like mine did, I would say, you are not missing anything essential. Based on my tasting of this one expression of the Barrel Strength release, I would say the regular single barrel is still the classic expression of Four Roses or in other words, Four Roses at its best.
    Gary
    Interesting Gary - I particularly note the comparisson too FR SB, as I was just (very generously) sent a 90 proof FRSB bottle by one of the SB.com members. We can't get Four Roses here in Australia*, so I'll be interested to taste both bottles when my Barrel Strength bottle arrives.

* There is a single retail outlet interstate who is selling Four Roses imported from the UK (we believe). I have three bottles of standard yellow label Four Roses and two bottles of the UK Single Barrel on hand, but have only opened one of the yellow label bottles so far.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I'd be interested in your reaction when you get the Barrel Strength, Cam.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    $75.00 at Toddy's. He screwed us for the last time though.
    Joe
    So what's up with this guy?
    I called him,(Guthrie) last Monday and gave him my card number to send me up a bottle of the Willet Estate Bourbon.
    I checked my card purchases and he has not charged me for this,or sent it up.
    Last year when BTAC Handy Rye came out I called down and again gave him my card number to send me up one.
    A week after that nothing on my charges.
    So I called down and asked if there was a problem, and he told me something about his family and no time etc.
    But he would "ship it out tomorrow".
    Still ain't got it.
    Is he dumb or just a jerk?

If he doesn't want to do mail shipments then why does he do all that used car salesman BS and then just blows you off?
    ovh

Well it didn't take long for one to end up on ebay
    US$139.99!!
    Went to the UK.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

Now I am stoked. I read the press release and it is coming to Illinois by the end of the year. I'm sure I won't be able to get the barrel strenght stuff but a close by supply of single barrel and small batch is very exciting. How long until I can get some in Wisconsin?
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Guru

I know Gary Gillman tried a different bottle and was not thrilled, but what a difference in bottles. I tasted 1018 of 1442. Unbelievable. Nose of cotton candy and the candy from candy apples. Taste was extremely lush and sweet with dark fruits abounding. A very long finish with the candy holding thru the finish. One of the best, if not the best bourbon I've ever had. I wish I had a case of this bottling, which was the 102.8 proof. A fitting tribute to Jim Rutledge who Is a great Master Distiller and one of the nicest guys on the planet.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Sounds like a keeper, Joe, thanks.

Gary

Virtuoso

I stopped by the Liquor Barn off Westport in Louisville praying that the BTAC 2007 had shown up (no luck) and saw that they had six bottles of this on a Four Roses display case in the area between the bourbon shelves. I didn't see any on Fern Valley earlier in the week. I haven't stopped by Hurstbourne lately.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    So what's up with this guy?
    I called him,(Guthrie) last Monday to send me up a bottle of the Willet Estate Bourbon.

But he would "ship it out tomorrow".
    Still ain't got it.
    Crow eating time.
    Apology time.
    Feel like an ass time.
    And a humiliating public embarassment time.

Guess what I got in the mail Saturday?
    A beautiful bottle of Willett Estate Bourbon.
    Selected for Toddy's & Dougz Fall Festival 2007
    Distilled 5/21/03
    Four years old
    125.4 proof
    Bottle No. 125 of 216
    Warehouse B
    Rick 54
    Barrel No. 2

I have been to Toddy's twice, Oct '05 and Oct. '06 and dropped $450.00 over those two visits.
    I met Guthrie the first time, a very personable guy, we had a good chat about bourbon.
    I was looking over his selection, which is very good, and he asked me what I thought about Basil Hayden.
    I said that it was much a-do about nothing.
    He smiled and gave me a thumbs up as if to say, yeah this guy knows bourbon.
    Being new to the world of bourbon I felt like I passed a test and now I am in the club.

I wonder if my quick-trigger-hot-tempered post was brought to his attention? hhmmm.
    Oh well, I'll be going to KY in a few weeks or so, maybe I should stop in at Toddy's and recieve a deserved verbal ass kicking for being a dumb jerk.
    ovh

Novice

I managed to get my hands on 5 bottles all from barrel 17-1D. I cracked one open last night and loved it.