Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Pls Define BIB

Enthusiast

Pls Define BIB

So BIB means Bottled in Bond. But what does that mean? I checked the FAQ but no info there. Please let me know what this means. Thanks.

Guru

Re: Pls Define BIB

An advanced search revealed this.

There may be better info in other threads.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

While the posts reveal the basis behind the BIB act related to taxes, I believe there were other factors and conditions that made a whiskey BIB.

1. The whiskey had to be produced during a single distilling season
    2. Must be bottled at 100 proof
    3. Aged at least 4 years

Additionally, whiskey during the time the act was initiated was often tampered with (addition of flavorings, colorings, etc.) so what you bought wasn't really straight whiskey. The Bond act was a form of guarantee that what you purchased was 100% straight whiskey and the BIB designation was a badge of quality. In this day and age, we don't have that problem and the BIB designation may be somewhat archaic.

I hope this helps answer your question.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    In this day and age, we don't have that problem and the BIB designation may be somewhat archaic.
    Ah, but also it requires it to be the product of one distillery. I think this is not archaic. This means Beam can't blend from their three distilleries, nor can anyone else blend with bought stock. It is the equivalent on todays single vineyard wines, single malt scotches, single plantation coffees and chocolates.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Ah, but also it requires it to be the product of one distillery. I think this is not archaic. This means Beam can't blend from their three distilleries, nor can anyone else blend with bought stock. It is the equivalent on todays single vineyard wines, single malt scotches, single plantation coffees and chocolates.
    You are correct sir. My oversight on the single distillery...that should have been #4.

My comment that it may be archaic was more in reference to the badge of quality. In this day and age, I don't naturally gravitate toward a BIB because it's a better quality than what's on the shelf. In 1897, I suspect that was the case.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Taster

You are correct sir. My oversight on the single distillery...that should have been #4.

My comment that it may be archaic was more in reference to the badge of quality. In this day and age, I don't naturally gravitate toward a BIB because it's a better quality than what's on the shelf. In 1897, I suspect that was the case.
    Not only the same distillery, but the same distilling season, and same distiller.
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Connoisseur

I definitely do gravitate toward BIB. Maybe it's just me, but I definitely feel like it means something in terms of quality. It could just be that there aren't too many BIBs outside of KY anymore, but the ones there are (McKenna, OGD, Tom Moore, etc.) seem to be consistently good. Not that Old Forester dropped the BIB designation on its 100 proofer, I tend to not desire it as much. Even though the whiskey always carried a 4-yr age statement, I think it was usually older, ALL of it (i.e., not a blending of various ages), and very good. Now it strikes me it's likely got some 4-yr, some 6-yr, etc., and it appeals to me less. It's not necessarily a bad thing to blend whiskeys of different ages, but I like the thought of a "single batch," so to speak.