Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM 8/07: Van Winkle 12yo Lot "B"

Well, It's been about 6 months since we last visited Casa Van Winkle(TM) in the BOTM club, and our members are jonesing for more. This month let's take a close look at a staple of the VW collection: The 12yo Lot "B".

Though the source of the whiskey may have changed, Julian and Preston have once again delivered a quality product deserving of the compliments it receives. Some have even said that they prefer the new version over past iterations, but we're not naming names.

Discussion is open to all manner and style of this bourbon, even the increasingly rare "Van Blankle." Let us know what you prefer!

Sound off
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Re: BOTM 8/07: Van Winkle 12yo Lot "B"

I'm on record as describing the 'Van Blankle' Lot B as second to none, most prominently here:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...48&postcount=1

I'm also recorded stating I find a recognizable difference between the original S-W versions and the current Bernheim-distilled bottlings, preferring the former, while still appreciating the latter.

The vicissitudes of its universal $10 price jump 12-18 months ago, and my deliberate effort at shelf-clearing, leave me with only the last quarter of an open Van Blankle by which to revisit the Lot B currently. I'll muddle through.

I'm noting a bit of white walnut (butternut) tonight that I've never recognized in this before, but it is not bitter like many nut-shell essences can be, and thus is not in the least disquieting. Interesting.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 08-06-2007 at 19:52.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Alas, I have not seen any of this on a shelf(even in KY!) in a while, and my last bottle of L'burg is reserved for comparison with BT-distilled stock, when it comes online. This leaves me with nothing but memories for the time being...and damn plesant memories they are...the ones of Van Blankle are especially warm.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Is the "Van Blankle" a Lawrenceburg bottling?
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

I've only seen this 1x on any shelf here in San Diego, and I bought it. Talk about good timing! This weekend I'll have to give this a go. Although, what (If any) markings on the label will mark this as a S-W bottling? It was next to 2 bottles of GTS '06 so this may have been sitting on the shelf about a year.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Well, It's been about 6 months since we last visited Casa Van Winkle(TM) in the BOTM club, and our members are jonesing for more. This month let's take a close look at a staple of the VW collection: The 12yo Lot "B".

Though the source of the whiskey may have changed, Julian and Preston have once again delivered a quality product deserving of the compliments it receives. Some have even said that they prefer the new version over past iterations, but we're not naming names.

Discussion is open to all manner and style of this bourbon, even the increasingly rare "Van Blankle." Let us know what you prefer!

Sound off
    If it says "Van Winkle" on the label... it's damn good whiskey! End of meaningful discussion / distinction.

If Julian and Preston are doin' the pickin'... I'm doin' the drinkin'.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

I opened my first bottle of Lot B last month, (wow man, I'm a month ahead), I posted that it was one classy bottle of whiskey.
    I am half way thru the bottle now and I will repeat,...
    This is one classy bottle of whiskey.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    I've only seen this 1x on any shelf here in San Diego, and I bought it. Talk about good timing! This weekend I'll have to give this a go. Although, what (If any) markings on the label will mark this as a S-W bottling? It was next to 2 bottles of GTS '06 so this may have been sitting on the shelf about a year.
    hmm....didn't figure Lot B to be difficult to find. Here in VA is fairly plentiful. Now I'm thinking I may have to go out and scope out the local ABC's to see if it is indeed getting low in supply. I have one bottle in bunker and just polished off a bottle. Me thinks adding a bottle or two is a good idea.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

Ok, so I went bourbon hunting for the first time. 1st store was a bust, but here in so cal I saw #2 and #3 of the stuff. Hanging out 'with the boys' and hoping to turn them onto the good stuff, I opened and shared. Mind you, this is my spare bottle, another one "in the bunker". Nose of caramel and then a lot of spice. which I love, the guys, didn't.

Now, I'm a big fan of KC....I detected a very spicy intial hit, followed by a clean finish. very much in what I look for. I'll probably go buy the 3rd bottle. In San Diego this stuff is apparently a little on the rare side. Bevmo does not carry it, and most small shops don't either. So for $40 a bottle it's worth it for the bunker.

This entire tasting is under the influence of a night of San Diego Pale Ales (aka the double IPA).

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    If it says "Van Winkle" on the label... it's damn good whiskey! End of meaningful discussion / distinction.
    Must say I see it totally different than you John. I did have a side by side a week or 2 ago with the Lawrenceburg and the Frankfurt version of the 10 year 107 proof. I can agree that both are very good bourbon but the taste and especially the stile are very, very different from eat other. Personally I think the Frankfurt (Bernheim) version is considerably better. And of cause as I am Swedish I want to know what I am drinking.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey