Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 8/07: Van Winkle 12yo Lot "B"

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post

This entire tasting is under the influence of a night of San Diego Pale Ales (aka the double IPA).

SDPA I think that the SDPA is one of the greatest accomplishment of the USA Micro-movement.

Just the choice of Breweries and Brewpubs in SD makes me want to move there. Pizza Port(both), Port Brewing -Lost Abbey, Alesmith, Stone, Green Flash, Alpine Beer, Ballast Point,.......so many. Send me some growlers.
    Joe

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Hey Joe, the "Van Blankle" was bottled in September '04 in Frankfort. It was from a barrel I selected that summer distilled at Old Fitz in March '92. In hindsight, I should have bought several barrels!

It produced 17 cases. Only two cases left. It will make an appearance at this years Fest once again.

It is rich caramel without being too sweet. And lots of pie spice to me (which I have noted in other Lot B's).....someone once described it as pumpkin pie spice which I think is accurate. I also get cotton candy in the middle. I would characterize it as a silky, creamy almost ethereal style versus the in-your-face style you might find in a heavily ryed bourbon at 12yo.

Of Julian's current non-SW bottlings, I may actually prefer the 10yo/107 slightly to the Lot B but enjoy them both. Neither are easy to find right now in Houston.

Randy

Virtuoso

Thumbs up Re: BOTM 8/07: Van Winkle 12yo Lot "B"

I finally opened the bottle of Lot B that I recently purchased. As a recent purchase, it may be Bernheim stock.

Whatever its provenance, it is mighty fine stuff. I had a pour of it, and I'm now working on a pour of a 2007-purchased Pappy 15 for comparison. The profile is pretty similar (honey/vanilla/spice), with the PVW 15 being a bit spicier and the Lot B more honeyed. Both have very satisfying finishes, too.

One mystery on both the Lot B and the PVW 15: some numbers in the lower right corner of the Lot B label, and the lower left of the PVW label.

Lot B: 04.6081
    PVW 15: 04.6071.01

They have no relationship to the UPC numbers. It's easy to assume that 04 is the bottling year, but that may be far from the case.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Enthusiast

In hindsight, I"m going to have to revisit this soon w/o a solid day of drinking beer. SDPA's are strong enough to ruin your palet due to the insane amount of hops and I do not recall an honey flavors.

On the SDPA's, yes they're awesome and also the reason I prefer bourbon over sctoch, I like the big profiles. It was actually the head brewer at the Brooklyn Brewery who suggested first the DIPA should be called the SDPA, but mention that on a brewing forum and they grab the pitchforks.

It's also interesting that I've never seen a bottle of PVW 15. I don't know what the deal is, but via reading this board I sure know what to grab now when I do see it! I may have a pour w/ a friend off the Lot B tonight.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    Hey Joe, the "Van Blankle" was bottled in September '04 in Frankfort. It was from a barrel I selected that summer distilled at Old Fitz in March '92. In hindsight, I should have bought several barrels!

It produced 17 cases. Only two cases left. It will make an appearance at this years Fest once again.

It is rich caramel without being too sweet. And lots of pie spice to me (which I have noted in other Lot B's).....someone once described it as pumpkin pie spice which I think is accurate. I also get cotton candy in the middle. I would characterize it as a silky, creamy almost ethereal style versus the in-your-face style you might find in a heavily ryed bourbon at 12yo.

Of Julian's current non-SW bottlings, I may actually prefer the 10yo/107 slightly to the Lot B but enjoy them both. Neither are easy to find right now in Houston.

Randy
    Randy-- I had a taste of yours at Koji's bar in Japan a couple years back and agree with the spice description (I also got that in the 2002 Sazerac 18 the same night!)

Still have some of the older Lot B at home to try this weekend...

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I'm planning on seeing Koji this fall on my way to Australia. Hopefully he will share a pour with me too. I think I gave/traded two bottles to him.

Randy

Guru

Red face Re: BOTM 8/07: Van Winkle 12yo Lot "B"

It was my good fortune to have Lot B as my first taste of any Van Winkle product. Although that has changed, I always come back to it.

I have it bunkered and have enjoyed 2 bottles of it. I started out with a snifter, but like it best with just one cube in a low ball.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

I had a pour of Lot B last night. I think I forgot just how good this stuff is.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

I can't say that I've ever had a VW bourbon that I did not greatly enjoy, but for the price this is my favorite. I love the 20 yr, but in light of the price difference I do not drink it as often.

It is very rare for me to see a bottle of Lot B on a shelf in Delaware or northern MD, so I normally order it through a friend with a liquour store and buy a case at a time.

Guru

Scarorough

Welcome, this is going to be my college football bourbon. I little taste on Friday night before the game and Saturday evening when I get home. I have a nice carry over from lat year taste left and will compare it to a freshly open bottle. Since I'm off work on Friday, I think I'll have to do this Thursday night. Anyway I light the 90 proof stuff.

Will