Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 8/07: Van Winkle 12yo Lot "B"

I've been out of this one for a while, and I really miss it. The ole Lot B is one of my favorite products, period.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Guru

There was not discernible difference between the remains from a bottle of Lot B opened last year at this time and a bottle freshly opened this evening. I hope I will have as much enjoyment drinking this years bottle as I did last year.

I'm wondering, should I also a bottle of PVW 15 to help with the Saturday evenings enjoyment?

Enthusiast

Well I finally picked up "LOT B" tonight on the last day of the month. Grand Slam this is darn good Whiskey. I all these years I never heard nor noticed a Van Winkle product on the shelf. Thanks to the Cable TV show Three Sheets> I have been enlightened. That is also how I stumpled on this website researching Pappy Van Whinkle. So cheers to ya
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Connoisseur

This is my first bottle of lot B, but it won't be my last (unless I can't find anymore). I got rich English toffee, smoke, and wood (in that order). I don't have any 15 to compare it with so I compared it with 20. The 20 is smoother, richer, more body, and more wood. Easy to tell they are related however. As someone said earlier, if it's Van Winkle it's got to be good. I'll try to get some 15 and compare - however the price for lot B is a lot less than 15 (although not as much difference as between 15 and 20).

Randy, I''m looking forward to trying some of your Van Blankle at the gazebo. I never even heard of it until this thread.

Stu

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    This is my first bottle of lot B...I compared it with 20. The 20 is smoother, richer, more body, and more wood. Easy to tell they are related however.

Stu, unless you have an old bottle of the Lot B then you're comparing a Bernheim (Lot B) to a S/W (20 yo), which, in my opinion, is a different flavor alltogehter.

Either way, you're right if it's VW then it's got to be at the very least good. Though, I'm not a big fan of the Lot B but it's still good.

Virtuoso

Yesterday I saw some of this at the Liquor Barn off Westport in Louisville for $40 and change. There were also what appeared to be (they were wrapped in tissue) of the PVW 15yo right next to it for a few cents less.

Guru

I honestly try not to give advice or educate other buyers unless I am asked. I had a very funny occurance the other day. I was looking at my local liquor store and selected my bottles. I overheard the clerk tell another man that the Lot B was excellent, but that Lot A was far superior. I tried, but couldn't get the man to understand. In the parking lot, I set him staright.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Disciple

I have not talked to anyone who has even tried the Lot A. So, what exactly did you tell him?

I have found that even with employees at liquor stores, you can not trust all the info given. Half truths and mis information runs rampent between liquor sales reps and employees.
    For example, when I was working behind the counter here in Austin. I had the Forty Creek rep talking up FC big time....I gave him an informal blind taste test:
    1. FC
    2. ER 10/90
    3. Overholt

He picked them: 2,3,1 and was very surprised that FC was so light in flavor.

This board has really influenced my thinking when it comes to distilled spirits. I learn new information daily, thanks to everyone who posts here.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

I told him the truth as I know it, There is no such thing as Lot A.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Disciple

Marc,
    I can't post a pic here so...I'll post it in collectibles.

Jeff Mo.