Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intrigued

intrigued

I have bounced around this site for the last couple weeks, I am not a bourbon drinker, I prefer an ice cold beer most days. I originally came to this site to get some info on an old Mountain Dew Bourbon bottle (see post in collectibles) but now my curiousity is spiked and my next trip to the Liquor store I will be spending an exaggerated amount of time at the Bourbon counter looking and deciding which one to try. Any suggestions on which one to try without breaking the bank.

Virtuoso

Re: intrigued

Old Weller Antique 107.

Guru

What's your price range? What state are you in?

Is your beer Coors Light or Anchor Steam?

Would you rather learn to drive in a 'Vette or a Civic?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

And where are you located...someone may know what's available in your area
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

for a 20 dollar bill you should be able to get many differnt flavors. Elijah Craig 12 year, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, Wild Turkey Rye, Wild Turkey Russels Reserve 90, Rittenhouse Rye 100 BIB (this one goes for 10 bucks),Old Weller Antquie 107, Evan Willaims Single Barrel, Old Forrester 86, Eagle Rare 10 yr and Old Grand Dad in various proofs.

For a little more say 30 dollars or under Elmer T Lee (My favorite), Knob Creek, Maker Mark, Baker's, 1792.

If money doens't matter you want to try the best then the Pappy Van Winkle family of bourbon's and Ryes figure 40 on up. William Laure Weller, Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms And George T Stagg fit here too.

I would go with one of the bolded ones that comes in the coolest looking bottle. You won't go wrong with any of them.
    Last edited by HipFlask; 08-07-2007 at 20:33.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    Old Weller Antique 107.
    I second this suggestion. I would also recommend Makers Mark. For someone who is not a bourbon drinker and wants to try it for the first time, I would stick with something that's smooth, easy on the palate (no burn) and easy on the wallet.

Weller Antique and Makers would be a good start. If you like it, great! If not, no harm, no foul.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Makers Mark is what pushed me off the slippery slope...readily available and smooth. I think Weller 12 and ETL are a couple other great "smooth" and flavorful choices.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    What's your price range? What state are you in?

Is your beer Coors Light or Anchor Steam?

Would you rather learn to drive in a 'Vette or a Civic?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    I am more of a bud light guy, My heavy partying and boozing days are behind me. I used to be vette but now I am more like a mini van. I would like more of a "sipping" drink not something I would have to chase down with a couple of Rolaids.

Guru

You didn't mention price, so I'll assume it's no object. You didn't mention your location, so I'll assume you travel throughout the country and can find just about any bottling.

The following suggestions, in no particular order, are intended to acquaint you with the offerings of various producers.
    • Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit
    • Knob Creek or Baker's
    • Elijah Craig 12 y/o, Henry McKenna 10 y/o or Evan Williams Single Barrel
    • Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o
    • Either Weller Centennial or
    • Maker's Mark
    • Rock Hill Farms, Eagle Rare Single Barrel or Blanton's
    • Four Roses Single Barrel or Very Old Barton BIB (neither available to me)
    Before exploring bourbon beyond the above sampling, a taste of rye whiskey would be in order.
    • Wild Turkey Rye
    • Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
    • Rittenhouse Rye BIB
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Advanced Taster

Elijah Craig 12 yo -- good price, excellent product.
    Maker's Mark -- good, high quality beginner bourbon. (Also good for non-beginners, of course.)
    Buffalo Trace -- good price, excellent product, a bit sweeter than EC 12 yo.
    Knob Creek -- this is one's good too. Probably the best Jim Beam small batch but some prefer Baker's which, I think, is a bit hotter. (Haven't tried it yet.)

Oh, and for what it's worth, I also used to be a Bud guy until they changed the formula. That's when I got into bourbon. I'm much happier now.
    Last edited by whiskeyhatch; 08-08-2007 at 22:06.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"