Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

What can't you get here?

In the "what new products do you want" thread, Tony wrote "I would also like to see some of the premium Export bottles go State side! Come on it's made here why can't we get it here."

My question, what do you want that you can't get here?

I'm not just addressing this question to Tony, because I know this is a frequently-aired complaint.

My reason for asking is that I contend there's really nothing in export or Duty Free that you can't get here. Perhaps not exactly the same, but virtually the same. Yes, there are completely different names and packages, but in all (almost all?) cases there is something sold in the U.S. that is the same or very close.

Discuss.

Virtuoso

Re: What can't you get here?

Well here are the few I can not seem to find...Enlighten me Chuck.

Blanton's Export only Gold, Silver, Black, Special Reserve (green label), Straight from the Barrel and Four Rroses Super Premium (Platimnum).

These are the few I can think of I've never seen anywhere. I have noticed several people on the board have these bunkered but I don't travel out of the country much.

I would put Four Roses SB Export 90 proof but I like the 100 proof state side better.

If am mistaken let me know! I want thes bottles for the Bunker!!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Evan Williams 15yo 107
    Wild Turkey 12yo
    Wild Turkey 14yo and 17yo were both Japan only releases
    James E Pepper
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The purpose here is to illustrate a point.

Buffalo Trace makes so many different bourbons you should be able to match the specs of any of those Blanton's almost exactly with another Buffalo Trace bourbon.

Same answer with Evan Williams. Between the 9-year-old EWSB, the 12-year-old EC, the 18-year-old EC, all of the Heaven Hill-brand bottlings, and all of the non-distiller bottlings, 90% of which are Heaven Hill, and you don't know what Heaven Hill bourbon at 15 years tastes like?

The Four Roses Super Premium is probably less premium than either Small Batch or Single Barrel. Sure, Four Roses has ten different bourbons, to use individually or blend, but do they taste that different?

Pepper is Old Charter.

Wild Turkey Tribute was a 15-year-old. Limited, yes, but a domestic release.

I understand these answers aren't satisfying for a collector who has to have one of everything, but they should satisfy most people who just want to drink the stuff.

My purpose here is that, okay, there are a couple of things in export that I'd like to have, but not really so many that it's something I'm concerned about. There are a lot of things here that aren't in export. The companies develop their portfolios in every market based on that market. Some of the exports are different from some of the domestics, but a porfolio that included both probably wouldn't make sense, because they're so similar.

But, yes, I wish Turkey had an ongoing product in the 15-18 year range. I'll mention that in the other thread.
    Last edited by cowdery; 09-07-2007 at 22:00.

Virtuoso

Chuck none of us stated we were just collecting. I think your right the products from same distilleries will have similar profiles (agreed).

My brother, cousin, uncle and dad all stand behind a back lit sheet. All are family and when turned have similar profiles...doesn't make all 4 of us the same!

I'm was just saying I'd like to have a couple of those bottles to do taste the similarities myself.

I also agree we have way more here than they have there and I wouldn't want that to change.

Cheers!

I'm having some WTKS tonight.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

My angle on this thread is a little different. My State (WA) just does not carry some of the bottles I would like to try, and they are bottles that are available in other States. I don't know the way the "system" works, but I hope to stop in to my liquor store next week and get a little education. We don't really have "dusty bottles" here in WA. My wish list is not exotic, just a few more from Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill and Brown-Foreman...all distilleries we already seem to do business with. I am sure I am missing important facts that will explain the lack of availability, but I shall explore my options!
    Todd

Connoisseur

I pity those who canīt get Makers black seal. Superb and quite different from the standard red seal.

At the same time, I have no problems seeing Chuckīs point. Methinks, a "the-grass-is-always-greener-on-the-other-side-of-the-hill" mentality sometimes gets in the way of rational thinking.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Guru

excellent point. We always want what's not available in our own market, even if we have a near twin readily available.

But I still find it irksome that American distilleries send special bottlings oversees. bottlings you just can't get here. Mostly WT products spring to mind.

I'n not a big fan of Blantons but would like to try the Barrel proof version (wasn't it an export only, one time afair) Also, as an ocational JD drinker I keep a bottle of Single Barrel around for when the mood strikes and would like to have access to the 100 proof version of same; Select Silver I think it is called.

I know very little about scotch and Scottish/Irish distilleries, do they generally do the same in this respect as American distilleries? I was disappointed that in the case of Redbreast 15 the answer would be no. because the only way I could have gotten my hands on any would have been to order from "The Whisky Exchange" and I was unsure about ordering from oversees so I didn't pursue it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I know very little about scotch and Scottish/Irish distilleries, do they generally do the same in this respect as American distilleries?
    There must be thousands of Scotches īround the world that are not for sale in the UK.

As Iīve written in earlier threads, the only reason this becomes an issue is because of the relative dearth of bourbon distilleries. If the bourbon industry could boast with the same plethora of distilleries as in Scotland, then no one would care. Weīd all be too busy soaking up the latest domestic releases.

For instance, I love Balvenie but I never feel that I have to taste every single bottling released from that distillery. Iīd much rather try something obscure like Tomintoul. Thatīs the power of variety.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Hedmans Brorsa View Post
    I pity those who canīt get Makers black seal. Superb and quite different from the standard red seal
    Do they still provide Makers of higher proof? I recall in Sept of 2006 I went to a Makers Ambassador "focus" group. They touted how they make just one bottle, and it's the "best". I enjoy Makers and did not mean this in any real negative way...but I brought up the point that I knew many people would like to try the higher proof version available in Japan and it just did not seem right that it was not available here. The other members of my small "focus" group (obviously not SB.com folks) had never heard of such a thing...there was another Makers out there? The gal from Makers came in later to assure the group that the 90š version was all that is available now, they had stopped bottling the "other" version.
    Todd