Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Old Charter Classic 90: New Label?

I picked up a bottle of Old Charter 'Classic 90' today. I thought that it was the last one on the shelf as it was the only one that had the (to me) familiar black label. However, I then noticed that, to the right, there were about 5 bottles of Old Charter 12 yo 90 proof. They were all sporting the same yellow label that you see on the other Charter expressions. I'm hoping that this change is insignificant but, does anyone know what the story is here? Is there going to be a change in the characteristic of this whiskey to accompany the change of label? I could have grabbed both bottles and put this to rest but... I didn't have the money to buy both.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Re: Old Charter Classic 90: New Label?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...hlight=charter

You'll note that this post if from almost two years ago. Buffalo Trace has since rolled out the new labels nationwide, so the new and old dress will appear side-by-side on many shelves for awhile -- until, at least, in the case of the 12yo, they discontinue the brand.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

quote=TNbourbon;93896]http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...hlight=charter
    until, at least, in the case of the 12yo, they discontinue the brand.[/quote]

Have you heard anything?

[quote=wskybnt;93912]
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...hlight=charter
    until, at least, in the case of the 12yo, they discontinue the brand.
    Have you heard anything?
    The 12yo is being discontinued.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 08-09-2007 at 18:45.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Thats too bad. I really like it a lot. I got turned on to it to late, just in the last 6 months or so. I guess I will buy up all I can find for a while. Why discontinue it? Poor sales?????

Quote Originally Posted by wskybnt View Post
    ...Why discontinue it? Poor sales?????
    Just a guess, but... -- an additional year in the barrel turns it into 13yo Proprietor's Reserve, which remains in the lineup, at about a 50% premium over the 12yo.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Just a guess, but... -- an additional year in the barrel turns it into 13yo Proprietor's Reserve, which remains in the lineup, at about a 50% premium over the 12yo.
    And another couple years after that you have Stagg, a few more and ER17...a little younger than 12yo and you have Eagle Rare SB, younger still and you have Buffalo Trace...all of these sell for more than OC12.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I'll have to grab some for the bunker. It's hard to believe that another damn good whiskey is headed for the chopping block.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Connoisseur

I have 4 OC 12 bottles in the bunker. I'll probably grab one or two more. But I definitely can believe another good bottling is going away. It seems the demand that has caught everyone off guard has affected nearly every distillery in recent years: RR101 is now RR90 and more expensive, EW 1783 lost its age statement, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the nominal 9-yr age statement on KC is pretty much dead-on now, whereas older bottlings may have been a bit older than stated (while I enjoy the brand-new bottles and think the brand is back on track, KC in the past 2-3 years had seemed younger than the late-90s bottlings).

It's frustrating when really great bottlings go away, and I think we may be entering a different era. Chuck has said (and I agree) that we're living in the golden age of bourbon. Our selection and quality is greater than that of any previous time period. However, some of that quality and variety is now vanishing or moving significantly up-market. Maybe that "golden age" is slipping away a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    ...Chuck has said (and I agree) that we're living in the golden age of bourbon. Our selection and quality is greater than that of any previous time period. However, some of that quality and variety is now vanishing or moving significantly up-market. Maybe that "golden age" is slipping away a bit.
    Nah -- it's just going to require more gold.
    Tim