Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited Runs?

Enthusiast

Limited Runs?

Ok, I've been part of this board for awhile now. I live in So. Cal. and I know what I can and cannot get here. My fam is in TX and for the most part I can get other non-so-cal distributed bourbons there.

My question is I want a list of limited run bourbons.

#1 is the GTS...I've been talking to 2 of my local large suppliers and I know the deal on getting this particular bourbon. 1 store will take a reservation, the other won't, but they also won't A) put it on the shelf and B) sell more than 1 bottle to one person. The manager is a bourbon guy and wants only those who know bourbong to purchase it and not hord it. And in a town of 2 million people, they won't get more than 12 bottles between 2 stores.

So, I hear tell of a WLWeller that's a limited run, but what else is small batch/single barrel limited run that I should REALLY hunt down.

I also have a sister in Houston who'll go the distance to hunt down bottles for me (bless her).

What's this Sazerac and Antique Collection? Are they still in production?

What about the Pappy's?

What is a 'wish list' of bourbons that are A) limited run or B) out of production but still available?

The entire Pappy Collection
    Sazerac
    GTS
    Antique Collection

what else does a true bourbon person need in their cabinet?

ETL, EC12/18, small batch collection, Old Pogue, I have both Four Roses, Noah's Mill, blah blah blah....but the rares....

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Limited Runs?

Enthusiast

I know when GTS is released, but what about the dates for the rest of antique collection? I think WLW is also released here shortly, and I read that Old Forester Birthday Bourbon in '06 was released in early Sept. Just trying to find out when I need to start hunting these down!

Thanks!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Old Forester Birthday bourbon is released on George Garvin Brown's birthday, Sept 2.

All the Antique collection (Stagg,ER 17, WLW, Saz 18, Handy) are released the same day.

The others seem to be released when they are released...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

ARe you sure about GTS? The BevMo manager told me it wouldn't be until late fall..... and in the past it's been anywhere from November to December...although maybe that's a west coast thing.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Old Forester Birthday bourbon is released on George Garvin Brown's birthday, Sept 2....
    Thatís right timothy.

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    All the Antique collection (Stagg,ER 17, WLW, Saz 18, Handy) are released the same day....
    Not last year anyway, thatís for sure. Must have been way into October at least. No way I would have missed it before going home October 1.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Oh, guess I should have stated that they are released together as a group, not on the same day as Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Sorry for the confusion. Since Phischy stated he knew when it GTS is released, I was letting him know that the others are available the same time.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple

How about Wathen's? Everything they do seems to be limited in one way or another.
    Jeff M

Apprentice

There are quite a few bourbons called "Single Barrel" and such, so you should probably pick one or two of these to concentrate on.

Your list is pretty good. I stay away from the Maker's Mark special bottles. Same bourbon, so you're paying extra for the bottle...in most cases.

I'm not fond of the Woodford Masters Collection either. Too pricey, and Woodford is getting into the Makers Novelty market IMO.

The Buffalo Trace products are my personal favs. The Van Winkles and Antique Collection are must haves. You're buying a fantastic pour, and they really don't seem to gouge on the price. The Stagg is worth $50, no question. Pappy 15 is well worth $35 (or $28 when they had it at Costco).

These are the greatest gifts too. I tend to give the Four Roses Single Barrel as a gift these days, since it's not available countrywide and is very , very good. The Van Winkle Lot B is a great gift too.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

Enthusiast

Thanks, I found GTS '06 and Lot B just last Friday so I picked up 2 of the former and 1 of the latter, basically cleaning out their high end bourbon. And it was in a store I never would have thought to carry either.

About the Old Forrester B-day, I saw it in 1 of the stores I went hunting in and then looked up the label to find out it is a '93. I've never had any of their products but do they release it each year? I'm under the impression that they don't, and if not, is it worth going back and getting the '93 edition?

As for the other Van Winkels, I'm keeping my eyes open now, I want the 15 year and the price is def right on that. And of course hunting down the rest of the BTAC '06 before the '07s hit the market!