Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Novice

Bourbon at bars?

I work at a bar in DC and I am currious as to what the best bottle you have found in a bar is?

Advanced Taster

Re: Bourbon at bars?

Quote Originally Posted by ipourbourbon View Post
    I work at a bar in DC and I am currious as to what the best bottle you have found in a bar is?
    While I've never found anything really exotic in a bar, bars were instrumental in fostering my bourbon obsession. One of the first really impressive bourbons I had was Baker's which I had in a chain restaurant. They had a display of bourbons that looked nice and I couldn't think of what to order so I ordered a Baker's neat with ice on the side. Really impressed me and got my attention so I followed it up with my 1st Booker's which was great too! The rest is obsessive history!
    Other rather nice bourbons I met in a bar for the 1st time are Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's & E. Craig 12. Tom V

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I had a pour of Wild Turkey Tribute at a bar in Brooklyn. Come to find out later it was a Jimmy Russell signed bottle that the owner didn't want opened (then why did the fool put it on the back bar?) and he fired the bartender for opening it.

On that same trip, I was pleasantly surprised to find A. H. Hirsch 16-year-old gold foil at the Jazz at Lincoln Center night club (which isn't at Lincoln Center).

Connoisseur

I haven't had too many great bourbons at bars, as most bars don't seem keen on providing a pour neat, though the Beam small-batch collection is most everywhere. However, at a jazz club in Chicago last week I had a very generous pour of Lot B served to me in a snifter. My first pour of that whiskey. I'll be buying a bottle. Soon.
    Last edited by TBoner; 03-22-2007 at 17:03.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Old Rip Van Winkle 13yo Rye, Blantons Single Barrel and some Rye that I can't remember the name of, as well as Stagg, Sazerac and several others at The Bowery Bar in Brisbane.....
    This bar by far leads the way for hard to find bourbon selection in Australia..

http://www.thebowery.com.au/drinks.2.html

Guru

Post Re: Bourbon at bars?

I had Pappy 20-year old and Rock Hill Farms at a bar in Atlanta, but that was several years ago. That bar had a lot of very nice pours.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Blanton's, RR 101 and Old Charter PR at the Mission Inn here in Riverside.

Old Pogue ( by accident ) according to the owner. When that is gone there will be no more.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

The Tavern in Bardstown KY. I had Pappy 20 and WT Rare Breed. And they have a lot of others, if you can't find one you like at The Tavern then you don't like bourbon.

Connoisseur

Pappy 20 is the best bourbon I have ever tried at a bar. You ready for this???...the bartender gave it to me for the ever low price of....free.

Guru

Booker's and WT RB.

I once had a pour of Booker' in a bar/restaurant called Sneaky Pete's Cowboy Steaks, in Le Claire, Iowa. A very healthy pour alongside a 14 oz. 'wood fired' ribeye. The meat had a definite campfire flavor quite different from the Kingsford charcoal I usually use at home. Anyone who has cooked over wood coals knows what I'm talking about. It went soooo well with the Booker's I almost felt guilty.