Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Weller 12 Distribution?

So a couple of weeks back I noticed a local high-volume liquor store I frequent was out of Weller 12. I asked if they had more in the back and was told they're having trouble getting it now, because of a lack of supply to meet the demand. I thought this sounded odd, but as I've looked around at other stores in the area, most of them have very depleted stock (except the places that sell very little and still have the old-label stuff around). I've asked a couple of other places about distribution and gotten vague answers.

So, anyone know if this is a legitimate distribution problem, and if so, is it just a short-term problem or a long-term one?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Weller 12 Distribution?

I wouldn't doubt there being issues with availability. Most distillers are having issues with longer aged product...nobody really expected the increase in demand that has occurred over the last decade or so and having been burned by excess stock not too long ago, are reluctant to risk overproducing.

This is a situation not likely to change in the short term.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

I think that "midshelf" bourbon with age statements of 10 years and more will soon become a memory. I understand, for example, that OC 12 is being discontinued. Well-aged bourbon is in high demand, and can fetch a premium price.

Connoisseur

This is what I feared. I know of a few bottles around town, so I'll scoop up a couple. It's not something I pour often, but I hate to see it disappearing.

And Jazzhead, don't look now, but those mid-shelf 10-plus years old bottlings are already pretty much a memory. Only BT and HH have any on the market at all, and the HH bottles (EWSB, Mckenna BIB) are at or near the $30 mark everywhere I go now.

Guru

Holy cow! $30 for EWSB? I was fortunate enough to pick up two bottles a couple of weeks ago for $17 a piece.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I'm betting that your EWSB at $17 was mis-priced. I've never seen it regularly priced at less than $25.

Dawn

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Weller 12 may take some price increases, but I don't think it's going away. Nor is it in danger of losing its age statement, like some of the Heaven Hill products have.

We may see this whole "shortage" thing ebb and flow, as producers evaluate and adjust their inventories annually.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
    I'm betting that your EWSB at $17 was mis-priced. I've never seen it regularly priced at less than $25.

Dawn
    Nope, not mis-priced. Here in VA, it's on sale right now for $21. In Montgomery County, MD, where prices are silly cheap, the sale price for EWSB is $17. Normal price is somewhere around $20. I also found Weller Antique 107 for $15. For whatever reason, Mont. Cnty is dirt cheap.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Nope, not mis-priced. Here in VA, it's on sale right now for $21. In Montgomery County, MD, where prices are silly cheap, the sale price for EWSB is $17. Normal price is somewhere around $20. I also found Weller Antique 107 for $15. For whatever reason, Mont. Cnty is dirt cheap.

You are one very fortunate enthusiast!

Guru

Weller 12 is one of those bottling I can only get by ordering from Binny's or Sam's The recently discovered well stocked liquor store down in Peoria doesn't have it either.