Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Weller 12 Distribution?

Brad,

Have you asked any of the retailers in your area if they would be willing to carry it? It's clearly available in Illinois and, at its price point, shouldn't be too hard of a sell. I strongly encourage people to do that, as retailers generally are more responsive to that sort of request than you might think. It's just nuts that you should have to order it through Chicago. Weller 12 isn't that esoteric.

Guru

I suppose I could. And I probably should. But I have so many bottles in my collection (and about 18 currently open) I would only buy one or two Weller 12's every few blue moons. I would feel bad if I cajoled the retailer into carrying it and hardly any one but I bought any. I did that once with the Antique collection. But as you say it shouldn't be that hard to move. The store where I usually buy Weller 107 sells quit a bit of it, I can't be the only one buying it. Weller 12 would be a natural extension and should sell.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Some of it has to do with the way you present it and the way the retailer perceives it. If you put it as a "special request," almost like a special order, then the retailer is liable to be offended if you don't seem to buy your "share." But if you put it as a suggestion--"you know, there's this product I like and can't seem to find around here, that I think you would do well with"--it's solely the retailer's decision to stock it. Then if it doesn't sell maybe he won't be as quick to act on your suggestions in the future, but otherwise there shouldn't be any hard feelings.

I don't mean to harp on this with you, Brad. I'm addressing this to everybody who is similarly situated. I strongly encourage everyone to get to know your whiskeymonger. The relationship should benefit both of you.

Guru

I detect no harping on your part. Your advice on such matters is always appreciated, Chuck.

Virtuoso

I don't know how true this was but last year while in Lexington a store owner told me that the Weller 12 yr. 1.75's were going away. I picked up 4 of them at $38.00 each so I'm pretty stocked for a bit.
    I took one to my parent house in the upper so I will be drinking that this weekend!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

AC

As you know Weller 12 is another great value bourbons not available in MI.

Will

Virtuoso

Will, I guess I'll have to share some! I had a good three finger pour with a cube of ice at my parents this weekend. My dad even enjoyed it and he's not a bourbon drinker.

PM me if you need a 1.75?
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"