Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Too hot for Bourbon, this is G&T weather

I love to drink bourbon but it's just too damned hot right now, so I switched to Gin & Tonic. Very refreshing in hot weather, especially loaded with fresh limes.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Re: Too hot for Bourbon, this is G&T weather

I know what you mean, I have drank more beer this summer than I have in the past year.
    I also opened up my George Dickel No.8, it's good with lots of ice.
    ovh

Guru

Never developed a taste for beer and I'm not a huge fan of gin. When I want an 'adult beverage' during these dog days of summer I'm sometimes at a loss. And then I think hey I like Irish. Powers Gold on the rocks! but sometimes it's just too hot even for that. I need to order some more mead but I wonder about having it shipped in this heat. Some places like Hi-Times (I think) advise against or simply won't ship wine a great distance during the hotter months of Summer. Mead being a honey wine, I'm assuming the same precautions might be in order. I wish it was late September.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 08-12-2007 at 08:20.

Enthusiast

You`re right,nothing can beat icecold mead!Perhaps maybe some Lambic,regular or kriek.
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I have been drinking more "refreshing" cocktails this summer, both with bourbon and with other spirits. With bourbon it's usually bourbon and ginger ale or a sour. Also drinking margaritas and G&Ts.

Enthusiast

People! Drink rose! We just got our 2007 (!) Avondale rose in and it is dynamite.

[Although the non-Schnook side of me loves G&T too--but the gin must come from the freezer and the tonic from the 10oz bottles and ICE COLD before it goes in the drink]
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I'll tell you what's popular this season in Toronto "boites": Sangria. Made with decent wine it is a really nice cooling, tonic drink.

Although one would think this is an age-old Latin refresher, it turns out it was invented in the early 1960's, in Spain I think, but that's another story...

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-14-2007 at 20:19.

I second the G&T vote, but I think the BEST way to cool off in this weather (and still have your bourbon) is bourbon iced tea. Ratio of tea to bourbon varies depending on taste... two or three parts tea to one part bourbon seems to work well. If you've made strong tea, you can even do 1:1 and still have a pretty refreshing drink... just be careful about doing that if you pour yourself a tall glass!

Some mint leaves thrown in while the tea is steeping makes it even better!
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"

Connoisseur

Mojitos for me...the perfect hot weather drink. I got the recipe from Wade and it has made me a popular guy in the neighborhood!

Todd

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I'll tell you what's popular this season in Toronto "boites": Sangria. Made with decent wine it is a really nice cooling, tonic drink.

Although one would think this is an age-old Latin refresher, it turns out it was invented in the early 1960's, in Spain I think, but that's another story...

Gary
    In Spain, at least in Madrid and other places I've been, the universal summer beverage is a modest red table wine mixed half-and-half with seltzer water, sort of like Sangria but without the fruit. It's usually included with a fixed-price meal, that or coffee. Maybe it's all year, but I've only ever been there in summer.