Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: New Drinker!

Taster

Smile New Drinker!

Howdy,

Today I took my first drink of alcohol since highschool! That was 1979, btw. I chose 2 oz. of Jim Beam Black label mixed w/ 4 oz. of bottled water.
    I'm drinking Whiskey because I want to live longer; that's right. I've read alot about the positive benefits of one glass of Wine/Whiskey per night, so I decided to start drinking 2 oz. of Whiskey each night.
    I've read the thread about JBB on BOTM. I'll have to decide just how to prepare my 2 oz of Whiskey, as I didn't care for the flavor mixed w/ water.
    A big "Howdy" to everyone, and I'm looking forward to learning about and enjoying Whiskey in small amounts.

Eggman

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: New Drinker!

Just a thought...but you are drinking whiskey in an attempt to live longer...?

Okay, I'll forget that part....maybe...okay: I think I can, I think I can...

Alright...you might wanna try some different mixers. Maybe some type of soda: coke, ginger ale(my fav for mixed drinks), sprite...I have a friend who loved bourbon and Orange juice...get a bartending book and you'll find lots of recipes.

Most american palates are unaccustomed to the drier tastes of spirits and wines...they have spent too much time tainted my overly sweet softdrinks and sweet tea and such...you will likely have to work your way to drinking whiskey with water only or even straight.

Okay...are you sure you want to live longer...the years at the end are the less desirable ones....think adult diapers, nursing homes. colostomy bags, arthritis...not fun times...might wanna reconsider living a shorter time....the light that burns brightest burns shortest.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

If you're use to to the sweetness from soda and sweetened Ice tea etc. Try making an old fashioned. It's sweet, almost too sweet. I have to add the sugar sparingly. This will give you a wiskeyish taste while avoiding mixing it with soda pop. Hope this helps.

Enthusiast

I would try it neat very small sips. then either 1 or 2 ice cubes or with equal amounts of water, then vary from there with more or less water. also sometimes let it breathe in the glass for 5 to 10 minutes and or swirl it in the glass. doing all of this will change the taste. 2 to 1 water mix really waters done the taste.

When I started drinking whisky I used to fill the glass with ice which melts fairly quickly. I soon realized that the last 1/2 of glass lost all of that wonderful flavor and was a waste of spirit. I gradualy put in less and less ice. Now days I drink it neat. But some times the mood strikes me and I mix with something. Lay around until you find the sweet spot. it is supposed to be good for the ticker. Keep it pumping
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    ...are you sure you want to live longer...the years at the end are the less desirable ones....think adult diapers...colostomy bags, arthritis...not fun times...might wanna reconsider living a shorter time....the light that burns brightest burns shortest.
    I just turned 50, Timothy -- been there, done that. I'm forever-more a gutless wonder! Trust me -- it's better than being dead (marginally, anyway).
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    I just turned 50, Timothy -- been there, done that. I'm forever-more a gutless wonder! Trust me -- it's better than being dead (marginally, anyway).
    I hope I didn't offend, Tim. 50 is not what I would consider old, your light is still burning brightly.

I consider drinking poison (alcohol is poisonous, after all, in the right/wrong amounts) as a way to extend life, an odd thought process...but then the wondrous lists of cure-alls that have been batted around by every Tom, Dick and Harry who can get their name in a paper or write a blog are amazingly stupid...

If you're going to drink poison, it should be for the short term enjoyment and forget about any thoughts of a fountain of youth being contained in a bottle.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

No problem, Timothy -- amusement, not offense. From ages 29-40, I had not a drop of alcohol, but plenty of doses of steroids, et al. I wound up fluffy, overweight, and in need of drastic interdiction.
    Today, I'm hoping my doctor will take me off my cholestorol medication this week after my annual physical Thursday, taking into account significant weight loss, change of dietary habits, and regular exercise -- not to mention the occasional tots of whiskey and wine in which I now indulge.
    Cheers.
    Tim