Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: WR Henderson

  1. #1
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    198

    WR Henderson

    I have read the postings on the signature thing with WR. I came across a Henderson signature, batch 197, and was wondering if anyone has specifically tasted a batch this late of the Henderson signature and whether or not they would think it worthwhile to pick up. I guess I've had good luck with the batches of WR I have drunk, as I have enjoyed the Morris signature the few times I've had it. Tom V

  2. #2
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,622

    Re: WR Henderson

    I don't know that any particular batch of Woodford Reserve is more prized than any other, but opinions vary. There certainly appears to be a consensus that WR varies more from batch to batch than most other brands. Just by definition, since they aren't making any more of them Lincoln Henderson-signed Woodfords are rare and becoming more so.

  3. #3
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    198

    Re: WR Henderson

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I don't know that any particular batch of Woodford Reserve is more prized than any other, but opinions vary. There certainly appears to be a consensus that WR varies more from batch to batch than most other brands. Just by definition, since they aren't making any more of them Lincoln Henderson-signed Woodfords are rare and becoming more so.
    I've experienced variation myself, Chuck. I have an opened mostly gone bottle at home that I enjoyed, but then I had a straight pour in a bar that was far more complex. Anyway, I couldn't resist and picked up the Henderson signature batch 197, courious to see if it differs noticeably, and I'am sure I'll enjoy it. Tom V

  4. #4

    Re: WR Henderson

    I work for a distributor and at one of my Ralphs supermarkets today i saw a batch 11 WR that had a slightly older style label than the other newer batches, I dont remember whos signature was on bottle but im going back to check tomorrow. If the sig is Henderson its probably a solid bottle, is that right?

  5. #5
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Eastern MA
    Posts
    409

    Re: WR Henderson

    As you'll find posted elsewhere, Lincoln Henderson bottles with batch number <90 is pure Old Forester whiskey. >90 and anything Chris Morris is a mixture of Old Forester and the pot-stilled whiskey from the WR plant. Which you like better is a matter of personal choice and palate.

    Cheers,
    Mike

    "You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

  6. #6

    Re: WR Henderson

    Thanks for the reply, I did a search and found the BOTM thread on WR. It turns out it was a batch 11 Henderson, there was also a batch 192 henderson. Both of the lables were much more faded than than the new batches and had the old sercuirty tags on them. I have a bottle of batch 274 Morris which i like probably more than any other in small collection so far. Anyway I bought the bottle and a bottle of Ealge Rare SB 10 and Elijah Craig 12 from Bev Mo when i was there. This site has been great in opening my eyes too new bourbons =)

  7. #7
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,394

    Re: WR Henderson

    Quote Originally Posted by klgambit View Post
    It turns out it was a batch 11 Henderson, there was also a batch 192 henderson.
    One other thing to consider is that the batch number seems to count runs of each bottling size, so a 375ml and 750ml of the same batch number might be months or years apart from each other. Obviously, the Henderson/Morris eras would start and end with their tenure, not bottle size.

    Roger

  8. #8

    Re: WR Henderson

    Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    One other thing to consider is that the batch number seems to count runs of each bottling size, so a 375ml and 750ml of the same batch number might be months or years apart from each other. Obviously, the Henderson/Morris eras would start and end with their tenure, not bottle size.

    Roger
    Thanks for that info Roger. Both of these bottles were 750ml and the only two on the shelves. I suppose they could have been in the liquor room for a long time but I have never seen them. Is there a way to find out when the batch 11 was bottled? Im just curious.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Radio tour w/ Lincoln Henderson & Chris Morris
    By BourbonitisBlues in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 08:04
  2. Lincoln Henderson Retires
    By bobbyc in forum Industry News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 19:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top