Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Novice

On Lots of Rocks

Hello All,
    My profile says I have been lurking here since 2004. Time flies when you're having fun.

I live in South Texas and the weather here is normally VERY HOT. As a result I drink bourbon on lots of rocks. I mean: fill a rocks glass to the top with good ice and pour a generous bit over the top and sip and enjoy.

Thought I would share with you my current favorites to enjoy in this manner.
    These are in order of preference:
    1. Old Fitz BIB DSP 16. (I have about 3 1/2 liters stached.)
    2. Rock Hill Farms
    3. Russels Reserve 90
    4. Bakers
    5. 12 yo Wellers
    6. Old Charter 10 yo.

On another topic, because it is hot here, I enjoy a tall bourbon and ginger after a day at the office. My favorite for this is McAfees Benchmark. This is a very credible inexpensive bourbon from Buffalo Trace (my favorite distillary) and perfect for mixing. My retailers here sell the plastic 1.75 for abour 12 bucks.

Glad to finally get involved with the group. Let me know what you think.

BH

Re: On Lots of Rocks

Enjoy it however you like it -- we all do, to one extent or another, though many of us like it a variety of ways.
    Personally, it looks to me like you have a very versatile group of bourbons -- ones that can be enjoyed either neat, mixed, or on the rocks. I might, however, add a straight rye, which also can be very versatile, and yet representative of a heavy spiciness you might not otherwise have in your current bottlings.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 08-13-2007 at 20:37.
    Tim

Novice

Thanks Tim,
    Good idea. I can get WT, JB and Old Overholt locally. Any suggestions?
    BH

Quote Originally Posted by pausted View Post
    Thanks Tim,
    BH
    Of those, Wild Turkey. Saz Jr. is a great, versatile whisky at a reasonable price, if you ever run across it. I've recently found Old Overholt (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...6&postcount=14) a great mixer, too.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Thanks Tim,
    BH
    If I can throw in my 2 cents: JB white label does not seem to be very popular on this site. But if I were in a bar that had a special on well drinks, and JBW was the only bourbon in the well, I'd gladly have it on the rocks. JB black label is very good on the rocks. WT 101 -- love it. Old Overholt is one of my favorites in the bottom shelf category. I'm not a big rye guy but this is a very flavorful, though youngish tasting whiskey. I really like the price, too. Welcome aboard!
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Guru

Thumbs up Re: On Lots of Rocks

Just about my favorite on lots of rocks is Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

I'm usually not a big fan of bourbon on the rocks... something about drinking it cold that doesn't appeal. The one exception (so far) is Booker's, which I think stands up well to ice because the flavor is so strong. That said, I'll drink it neat sometimes too. Depends on my mood.
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"

Novice

As we speak, I am enjoying some Old Fitz BIB from SW. The bottom of the bottle says 1988. I know I should probably drink this neat but I like cold whiskey Maybe the freezer?

A short story: I was in a store a few weeks ago and noticed a row of green label Old Fitz BIB behind the counter where the check out was. I asked the young lady to let me see a bottle. Sure enough, DSP 16. They were 200 ml bottles at $3.79 each. She had 12 bottles. I took them all. My math says $18.95 a liter. Not bad and she gave me a 10% discount for buying them all!

Guru

That never happens to me.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

As we speak, I am enjoying some Old Fitz BIB from SW. The bottom of the bottle says 1988. I know I should probably drink this neat but I like cold whiskey Maybe the freezer?

A short story: I was in a store a few weeks ago and noticed a row of green label Old Fitz BIB behind the counter where the check out was. I asked the young lady to let me see a bottle. Sure enough, DSP 16. They were 200 ml bottles at $3.79 each. She had 12 bottles. I took them all. My math says $18.95 a liter. Not bad and she gave me a 10% discount for buying them all!
    I had the same exerpience about 2 months ago. Except my bottles varied in size from 375ml, 500ml, 750ml, 1L and 1.75L. It was quite a haul.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog