Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Guru

A Redbreasted Old Fashioned

Wanting something different, something refreshing in this hot weather, I made an old Fashioned substituting Irish (Redbreast 12 in this case) for my usual Saz Jr. Two ounces whiskey, one teaspoon water, one half teaspoon sugar and three drops Angostura bitters, one orange slice and two cherries.

I imagine this has been done before. It's very nice.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 08-15-2007 at 04:24.

Connoisseur

Re: A Redbreasted Old Fashioned

This sounds excellent, Brad. A natural with the orange flavor of Redbreast. I'll have to give this a try soon.

Connoisseur

What do you think of Redbreast neat?

I've been going back and forth on buying it. I generally find Irish whiskeys to be too mild given their triple distillation, but I'd love to find one that I did in fact like enough to buy a bottle - not that I'd turn down a Jameson's 12 or 18 year, or a Black Bush should someone offer it to me.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

Redbreast 12 is my favorite Irish. It is surprisingly full flavored for an 80 proof whiskey. Lots of pot still character. I usually drink it neat in a snifter. This was my first experiment using Irish whiskey (any brand/bottling) in a cocktail.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 08-16-2007 at 04:24.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    What do you think of Redbreast neat?

I've been going back and forth on buying it. I generally find Irish whiskeys to be too mild given their triple distillation, but I'd love to find one that I did in fact like enough to buy a bottle - not that I'd turn down a Jameson's 12 or 18 year, or a Black Bush should someone offer it to me.
    Well, now you can try before you buy. Al just dropped a bottle of Redbreast 12 year on my desk...fresh in from Ireland.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Seconding the recommendation of Redbreast 12. Most mouthfeel of any 80-proof whiskey I've ever had. A very nice, complex nightcap, and goes well with a pipe.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Seconding the recommendation of Redbreast 12. Most mouthfeel of any 80-proof whiskey I've ever had. A very nice, complex nightcap, and goes well with a pipe.
    Good to know. I may have to break out my pipe for this one.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog