Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I.W. Harper?

Advanced Taster

I.W. Harper?

Came across a very dusty bottle of 15 year old I.W. Harper yesterday in a store in north Jersey. Never seen it before and doing a little Googling I see now that it's no longer available. Anyone familiar with this bottle? It's pictured here (where it's also pretty badly slammed by a couple reviewers)....

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/for...isplaybottling

Connoisseur

Re: I.W. Harper?

Run a search on this site and you'll pull up a bunch of info. My personal feeling is that it's over-priced for what it is.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Advanced Taster

Yeah, I did that. But I couldn't find info on when it became extinct or why it did.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

As I recall, this one is a yawner. I may try it again tonight, but it's been pushed way to the end of my bench. Of the 5 whiskies in the Bourbon Heritage Collection, I have found this to be the weakest of the lot. Plus, the bottles typically go in the mid $30 range. Too much, if you plan on drinking it, IMO. But, since it does carry the BHC, it may have trade value to someone, if you're into that kind of thing.

Cheers!

JOE

Connoisseur

Supposedly it was too tannic at 15 yrs. so had to be diluted to 80 proof to render it drinkable. I found that left it too thin. This is after one tasting at a bar in Nevada. I have a bottle bunkered but have passed on bottles I have seen since. I enjoy the extinct 80 proof Gold Medal and pick up any of the bonded I come across. IMO, these are more interesting pours.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Virtuoso

This is a great night starter whiskey! If you drink this at the end of the night it will have no value as the Palate will not pick up the light flavors this one has to offer! If you search: I.W. Harper or BHC or Bourbon Heritage Collection you'll find it. If you looking to sell it's still around if you're hunting I see it in Detroit in the mid $30's.

15yr old 80 proof is just a bit week! If you know someone missing it from their BHC it's a nice gift!

Tony (find it on eBay) Curtis
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Advanced Taster

Thanks for all the input. I'll probably pass it along to a friend of mine who's a collector.

Disciple

What was the price on the Harper, B1?

Jeff Mo.

Advanced Taster

$59, which by all accounts, seems pretty high in hindsight.

Disciple

That is more like highway robbery. The most I would offer for that bottle is $32-35, which is what it seems to go for, here. If you see an OF12/90 jump of that in the same price range.

Jeff Mo.