Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Rittenhouse 21

Enthusiast

Rittenhouse 21

I am sitting here with a glass of Rittenhouse 21 Rye and I am not sure what I am tasting. This is the second time I have had a pour from this bottle, and both times I have had to remind myself that it is Rye. Now all the other Ryes in my collection, from bottom shelf Overholt all the way to the Willetts are not like this, they are all obviously Rye with a capital R. This glass tastes a lot like EC 18, grass and oak are the predominent flavors with tobacco and mint in the background. There is none of the Ryecrisp flavors that come leaping out of the others. Anybody want to guess why this is the case?

Guru

Re: Rittenhouse 21

Even I can tell that the distinctive characteristics of wheat-recipe and rye-recipe bourbons give way somewhat to the barrel influence with increasing age.

I wonder whether that effect is responsible for your perceptions in this case.

Have you tried the Saz 17 y/o? (Not that years are always equal in their effect.) If so, did you notice any diminishing of what you call "Ryecrisp" flavors?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur

I love Saz 17, and while I find it unique in its grassy, herbal character, I would not mistake it for anything other than rye.

One description I've heard of ryes (was it dgonano or stoopsie?) is the nose characteristically reveals blue-flower notes (lilac, lavender, violet), and spice is another common flavor descriptor. Perhaps ryecrisp is not always noticeable, but is just one of a family of common characteristics.

I haven't opened my bottle of Ritt 21 yet - but I was very close to doing so after reading this.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    I
    I haven't opened my bottle of Ritt 21 yet - but I was very close to doing so after reading this.
    I hope yours fares better than the one we put in a tasting against Willett's Barrel Proof Rye and LeNell's Red Hook Rye (both first generation). The Ritt showed extremely poorly against these (yes, I know it's only 100 proof). YMMV.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    Have you tried the Saz 17 y/o? (Not that years are always equal in their effect.) If so, did you notice any diminishing of what you call "Ryecrisp" flavors?
    Saz 17 is currently my favorite whiskey, it screams "RYE" to me. The 20 year old Willett also has a lot of Rye character, but it is somewhat muted against a heavier oak layer.

Connoisseur

After recently doing a rye tasting and article (to be published soon)
    the Rittenhouse 21 was the closest to bourbon of the bunch IMO while still being rye whiskey.

Others tasted that same day:
    Hirsch 22
    BMH 23
    Vintage 23
    Old Potrero 19th cent
    Saz 18
    CC21
    Michters 10
    VWFR 13 (although not really 13 but rather 18-19)

Connoisseur

Wow, I'd love to have been part of that little test. I'm definitely looking forward to your article. Please let us know when it's out and where.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    the Rittenhouse 21 was the closest to bourbon of the bunch IMO while still being rye whiskey.
    Yep, Rittenhouse 21 tastes like a Heaven Hill Bourbon to me. It tastes like a good Bourbon, but for the price, it should taste like a great Bourbon.

This is fun.