Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Wine-Open Bottle

I find reds can sometimes be kept a couple of days on the counter. Some are so "big" in extract and alcohol this seems not to hurt them too much. As for whites or Champagne, I find most keep well for a few days re-corked (i.e., in the fridge). I think the fact that many wines - even some better grades - are pasteurised today assists preservation in this way.

Gary

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I find reds can sometimes be kept a couple of days on the counter. Some are so "big" in extract and alcohol this seems not to hurt them too much. As for whites or Champagne, I find most keep well for a few days re-corked (i.e., in the fridge). I think the fact that many wines - even some better grades - are pasteurised today assists preservation in this way.

Gary
    Champagne is one exception I forgot to mention. You can leave a bottle uncorked in the fridge overnight with little loss of carbonation or oxidation due to the layer of CO2 that is naturally present in the bottle.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Yes I agree but usually a cork can be found to close it (Champagne) and then it keeps even better.

But take say a sturdy Chard with lots of butter and wood, factoring in that these are usually around 14% abv today.

I pop the cork back in and then in to the fridge, I find a day or two (up to say a week) usuallly does no harm.

Gary

Enthusiast

Red wine is still okay after 2 or 3 days,in a fridge sometimes longer.White is kept good in a fridge up to 5 days or so,it all depend on the quality.If you have some wine leftover you can marinate beef in it and if its turned sour make a real winevinegar out of it!
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Enthusiast

I opened a 75 cl. bottle (red) last Wednesday and drank half of it. I stored the rest in the refrigerator till Friday evening. I used the original cork since it wasn't damaged while opening. Friday evening, the wine was still good and I finished it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

A neat trick for Champagne storage is put an uninflated balloon over the top.
    It will fill slightly from released CO2 and stay that way for up to three days.

I learned this on a cruise ship, where the main salon has 20 or thirty partially consumed bottles at a time. The sommelier clued me in.
    Colonel Ed

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Re: Wine-Open Bottle- Study results

Colonel Ed

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Connoisseur

We use one of those vacuum-pump stoppers when we open a bottle of red but don't finish it, and I think it works quite well. Red wine that would normally last only a day or two while just corked can go for 4-5 days with the vacuum stopper. We bought a cheap one, and it works fine, so I'd recommend trying it out.

Enthusiast

My last trial: I opened a bottle of Red Wine (Chile) and stored the half-full bottle with a vacuum pump stopper on top. Well, after quite a long time-ten days- it was still drinkable for me. Maybe the vacuum stopper is great, maybe I can not differentiate between wine and vinegar
    Anyway, it doesn't work for months, which I know from my first experiment that resulted in a red vinegar. But "ten days" is an encouraging score...