Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Im smokinson, and Im a slacker

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to bourbon. Started working in a liquor store part-time and they have a really large selection that i have been working through and I'm really starting to like bourbon. So just wanted to come and learn from some others that enjoy the same. And to start with this I was wondering if anyone could give me some info and backround on this

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Im smokinson, and Im a slacker

101 proof Makers Mark hasn't been made in quite a while. I've never had it, but have heard good things. Let us know what you think of it.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

You have a jewel there. Enjoy.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If there are more, I suggest you buy them all. If you don't want to do that, reveal where they are and let the market work its magic. I guarantee they won't last long.

Smokinson,

Welcome to SB.com! If you're starting to like bourbon, wait until you open that puppy!

You'll start an obsession!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

I should have mentioned in the post that we dont actually sell that in the store, this was given to me. The store i work does have some pretty rare Bourbons, but unfortunatly this is not one. I have been looking for another bottle somewhere that i could purchase, but so far unsuccesfull.

Novice

I've always wanted to try something with Maker's Mark house character, but more personality. Frankly it just tastes dull to me these days. Enjoy that and let us all know how it is, especially with comparison to the standard product.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinson View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to bourbon. Started working in a liquor store part-time and they have a really large selection that i have been working through and I'm really starting to like bourbon. So just wanted to come and learn from some others that enjoy the same. And to start with this I was wondering if anyone could give me some info and backround on this

It was discontinued from production about 10 years ago. It is much chewier than any other MM. At the last gazebo in Bardstown Mike owner of Twisted Spoke in Chicago brought a MM black label. He did say he was sure it was 9 years. As for taste I would say that the gold 101 have much more wood in the taste and are probably older and/or from higher floors.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    You have a jewel there. Enjoy.
    Joe
    Absolutely! Iīve had one bottle of this and it is sorely missed.

I had no idea that it was discontinued but that may well explain my futile efforts in securing another bottle.

To me, not only did it appear older. It also had a slightly different profile compared to the two other MM:s. There was something about it that reminded me of a Scotch grain whisky from the North British distillery. One of the few grains Iīve had that didnīt have a Canadian character.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Maker's Mark has an interesting position, unlike most other producers, due to its enormous success. It's a little like Jack Daniel's or Wild Turkey in this regard. Jack has one recipe and four expressions. Turkey has two recipes (counting their straight rye) and makes one expression of one (the rye) and five of the other. Maker's has one recipe and makes one expression. They don't have any incentive to do anything else because they are able to sell all the whiskey they make as the standard product and they are on allocation at that. That fact (allocation) they share with Daniel's.

Maker's, more than any other producer, is invested in the proposition that their standard product is perfect. Therefore, how can they come out with something that's "better"?

The other side of the coin, though, from an enthusiast's point of view, is that we don't necessary want "better," we just want "different."