Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Back on the board again

I'm not new here, but I haven't been very active at all on SB.com for 6 months or more and just wanted to let you all know that I'm back and plan to be a more active participant in the future. I just sort of got side-tracked with work and other pursuits (although I continued to enjoy fine whiskeys and sharing same with friends). My apologies for the long absence and also to a few of you for some unreturned private messages proposing trades - I will get back to you shortly as soon as I take stock of my current collection.

Just made a couple of road trips (one from Texas to DC, and one from DC to North Jersey) with some substantial bourbon hauls - both dusty bottles and new stuff. Among the notable dusty bottle finds were quite a few 1.75L bottles of National Distillers DSP-KY-14 Old Grand-Dad BIB (marked as 8 years old on the faux tax stamp) and I am looking forward to trying it out as I've heard such good things. Other dusty bottle finds included a full case of 6 bottles of 1989 EWSB with orange wax tops, several 375 ml bottles of Old Fitz BIB from DSP-KY-16, a W.L. Weller 19 year old, an ORVW 15 107 that was discounted 30% because the liquor store owner couldn't get anyone to buy it (!!!), a 1.75L of Wild Turkey 8 year old that appears to be from the early '80s, some I.W. Harper Gold Medal (4 year old), some older bottles of OF 100 proof, and no doubt some other things I'm forgetting. I will post full details and pics for each trip in separate posts.

I'm also starting to get into scotch a bit more, and am exploring my taste preference there. I seem to like Talisker, Clynelish, Highland Park, and the Islay malts. Recommendations always appreciated.

Howie, Greg, & Mark - I hope to get together with you guys sometime soon for a tasting. Sorry for having to bail out of the one in May. I now have access to a car, so I can get around the area much more easily and am no longer constrained by the DC metro system.

Cheers,
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Guru

Re: Back on the board again

Dan,

Welcome back. Glad to hear that although you were sidelined from SB, you certainly weren't sidelined from Whiskey. Looks like you had some great finds, especially that ORVW 15. I would love to do a fall tasting with some great BBQ. We'll try and set it up with enough advance notice that we can get some good participation. The tasting in May is documented in this forum so you can take a look at the great bourbons that Howie offered up. So far, for the two tasting events we've held, we did an Old Forester line-up and then a wheater line-up. I'm open to suggestions for the next event.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Thanks!

A fall tasting sounds great to me. I did see the post about the wheaties tasting - looked fantastic. I'll have to check out the May tasting report too. Sorry again that I let you down with the OFBB - will try to make it up next time.

Fall seems like an appropriate time for a Wild Turkey tasting, no? I can offer quite a few bottlings, including both versions of WT-12.
    -Dan

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    I My apologies,.... to a few of you for some unreturned private messages proposing trades - I will get back to you shortly as soon as I take stock of my current collection.

Cheers,
    Welcome back,... I thought the last offer I made you got you so pissed that you left us.
    ovh

Disciple

Hah, nope!
    -Dan

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    Thanks!

A fall tasting sounds great to me. I did see the post about the wheaties tasting - looked fantastic. I'll have to check out the May tasting report too. Sorry again that I let you down with the OFBB - will try to make it up next time.

Fall seems like an appropriate time for a Wild Turkey tasting, no? I can offer quite a few bottlings, including both versions of WT-12.
    Actually, that's a great idea. I've managed to pick up some older bottles of Wild Turkey recently and have the following in stock:

WT 8 year 101 (83)
    WT 8 year 101 (current)
    WT Old No 8 (93)
    WT 86.8 (82)
    WT 12 year split label
    WT RR 10 year 101
    WT Tribute (US release)

Hopefully, other's that attend have some interesting selections they can provide. I like your idea. Let's plan it out and see what comes of it.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Excellent! I'm all for it! I have:

WT 101 (current)
    WT 101 8 year old (1982?)
    WT Rare Breed (WT-03-RB)
    WT Kentucky Spirit (2003)
    WT RR 101
    WT 12 Split Label
    WT 12 Gold Foil
    WT Freedom (106 proof, 7-13 yr old)
    -Dan

Virtuoso

Among the notable dusty bottle finds were quite a few 1.75L bottles of National Distillers DSP-KY-14
    Welcome back! although I'm new here I have seen some of your posts. Had a question on the National Distiller. Is this a blended whiskey? I was at a retailer today and they had some 750ml and a couple 1.75 but they both were blended so I shyed away.

I look forward to your insight om this as it was (scary) very cheap!
    Welcome back! Although I'm new here I have seen some of your posts. Had a question on the National Distiller. Is this a blended whiskey? I was at a retailer today and they had some 750ml and a couple 1.75 but they both were blended so I shied away.

I look forward to your insight on this as it was (scary) very cheap!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Disciple

AC,
    are you talking about OGD blended or some other National product?

Disciple

I was referring to Old Grand-Dad Bottled-in-Bond distilled by National Distillers at their DSP-KY-14 plant in Frankfort before OGD was acquired by Beam. The plant is now used for bottling, and the distillation is done by Beam in Clermont. It is straight bourbon whiskey, not a blend.

Generally a safe bet to avoid blended American whiskey.
    -Dan