Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

All HH corn whiskey is the same. Really?

Or at least three of them are the same. I read this in an old post. The feller said that "Dixie Dew, Mellow Corn, and JW Corn were exactly the same."

This would be good news because I can't find Dixie Dew anywhere in the state of California. Having two other labels to search for might improve the odds.

They have it in Alabama and I have a friend there who could mail me a bottle. However I did a little research and found out you can't do that. Not even a bottle of wine for a birthday present. Do people do this anyway? Or is it the equivalent of mailing C4? I'm too young and cute for prison.

HH also has Georgia Moon and Platte Valley, but they really don't compare to Dixie Dew.

Disciple

Re: All HH corn whiskey is the same. Really?

People ship all the time. Generally works fine if you pack it very well (lots of bubble wrap and a good box) and don't disclose to UPS/FedEx that it's alcohol.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tetralix View Post
    "Dixie Dew, Mellow Corn, and JW Corn were exactly the same."
    Well, maybe not exactly. They're all definitely the same when they come out of the still, including Georgia Moon. Heaven Hill makes just one corn whiskey recipe, so they're all the same mash bill, same yeast, same proof of distillation.

I don't know anything about Dixie Dew and JW Corn, but anything that's clear is the same as everything else that's clear, except maybe bottling proof. Mellow Corn, I know, is a bond, so it's aged in new uncharred or used barrels for at least four years and bottled at 100 proof. That's a difference. I think there's another one that is aged for something like six months.

Except for some micro distilleries with very limited distribution, Heaven Hill is the only distillery that makes and markets corn whiskey, and they make just the one formula. Other distilleries make it, but just for their own blending use, not for sale as corn whiskey.

Connoisseur

Dixie Dew and JW Corn are extremely invisible brands. You canīt find much about them on the Internet, either.

Are they only sold in the deep South?
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Enthusiast

I generally don't see them on the shelf even in KY. Go to a dozen decent sized stores in Louisville/Lexington and you're lucky to find them in one. I picked up some Mellow Corn BIB last trip and liked it a lot. I'll definitely be seeking it out again this year.

Cheers,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Except for some micro distilleries with very limited distribution, Heaven Hill is the only distillery that makes and markets corn whiskey, and they make just the one formula. Other distilleries make it, but just for their own blending use, not for sale as corn whiskey.
    Ken,

Do you know if HH makes Virginia Lightning? I'd be interested in trying one of the HH products if they are different, but if they are the same thing, I won't bother.

Here are some tasting notes for the Virginia Lightning from last weekend:

Nose: Wet dog and corn
    Taste: Wet dog with corn rubbed in it's fur
    Finish: More fur and corn

Jay
    Saturday night I was downtown
    Working for the FBI
    Sitting in a nest of bad men
    Whisky bottles piling high
    - The Hollies

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jspero View Post
    Ken,

Do you know if HH makes Virginia Lightning? I'd be interested in trying one of the HH products if they are different, but if they are the same thing, I won't bother.

Here are some tasting notes for the Virginia Lightning from last weekend:

Nose: Wet dog and corn
    Taste: Wet dog with corn rubbed in it's fur
    Finish: More fur and corn

Jay
    Virginia Lightning and Copper Fox are both from Belmont Farms of Virginia Distillery

This would be one of the microdistillers he referred to.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile