Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Greetings from Florida!

Just wanted to say a quick 'hello' to everyone!

I'm a long time scotch drinker who's been getting into bourbon more & more. My collection isn't exactly impressive, but hopefully I've made some good choices, and I'm looking forward to lots of help finding new whiskeys to try. (Gotta get used to adding that 'e'!)

Currently I have:

Elijah Craig 12
    Blanton's Original
    Old Grand-Dad 114 (86 proof also)
    Evan Williams Single Barrel 1997
    Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13yr

Thanks for letting me aboard!

Re: Greetings from Florida!

Welcome aboard! As someone who is relatively new to the board, I can tell you I've already picked up a bunch of good recommendations in the short time I've been here. Hopefully you'll find the forums as fun and useful as I have.
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"

Lapianoman,
    Welcome to SB.com!
    You have already picked up a few nice ones there...I would recommend picking up a wheat recipe bourbon just to compare...if you can get Weller 12yo I would say get that. I just discovered it myself, fantastic bourbon!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Lapianoman,
    Welcome to SB.com!
    You have already picked up a few nice ones there...I would recommend picking up a wheat recipe bourbon just to compare...if you can get Weller 12yo I would say get that. I just discovered it myself, fantastic bourbon!

Scott
    Scott,

I spoke with Brett and Binny's and he said the Weller 12 year is Bernhiem Whiskey aged 14+ years. He purchased 10 barrels from BT that should keep him well stocked for the next couple of years.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Scott,

I spoke with Brett and Binny's and he said the Weller 12 year is Bernhiem Whiskey aged 14+ years. He purchased 10 barrels from BT that should keep him well stocked for the next couple of years.
    I placed my order for the PVW 23 on Thursday and had Brett throw in two Weller 12's. Had just about every other Weller offering except this one. Looking forward to trying it next to the others that I currently have open...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Scott,

Damn, I swear he told me those were Old Fitz barrels(SW). Do y'all know if UD kept the Old Fitz name on all the new wheated barrel heads, after the move from SW? Also, does HH use the OF name on all wheated barrel heads?
    Jeff Mo.

Enthusiast

Nice to have another Floridian on board!

I'm located in Hollywood, just S. of Ft. Lauderdale. I'll be interested to hear if you know of any interesting retailers in the WPB area. In my area, Total Wine has the largest selection, whereas Cellars and ABC have things not carried by TW.

-Kevin

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Damn, I swear he told me those were Old Fitz barrels(SW). Do y'all know if UD kept the Old Fitz name on all the new wheated barrel heads, after the move from SW? Also, does HH use the OF name on all wheated barrel heads?
    Jeff Mo.
    Jeff,

You are correct, Brett did say that the barrel caps said "Old Fitzgerald Distillery". Of course, a 14 year bourbon would place distillation right around '93 which would be post SW distillation. I think if it was SW in the barrels, he would have said so. In any case, his review and those of others say this is mighty fine bourbon in that bottle.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by scopenut View Post
    Nice to have another Floridian on board!

I'm located in Hollywood, just S. of Ft. Lauderdale. I'll be interested to hear if you know of any interesting retailers in the WPB area. In my area, Total Wine has the largest selection, whereas Cellars and ABC have things not carried by TW.

-Kevin
    Yeah, Total Wine is my go-to store now. They're building one just down the road from me...very dangerous! :P

I've never heard of Cellars before, but ABC is a staple location of my also. Other than that, I know of a couple "Mom & Pop" stores that have decent selections, but nothing I've seen rivals Total Wine's selection for bourbon or scotch.

If either of you go to Crown Wine and Spirits at 12524 W Sunrise Blvd, look for Joy and tell her Scott from Australia says hi!

Scott

Also, do either of you know a location near Hollywood or Sunrise where I can get a Knob Creek 1.75 for a decent price??
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra