Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Is this the VBT #73 bourbon?

I was at store yesterday and say these bottles. Mostly dusty, but I didnt think they were anything special. Also, I wonder if this was the VBT #73 bourbon that was described? Was I wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

Re: Is this the VBT #73 bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    I wonder if this was the VBT #73 bourbon that was described? Was I wrong?
    For those who don't memorize their Virtual Bourbon Tastings by number, I looked it up in the other forum - VBT #73 is Heaven Hill BIB 6 year old. It's the white label bottle with green lettering there between the Evan Williams and the black & gold label Heaven Hill.

I'd buy it for it's feisty young character, but it's probably not dusty even if the label still says DSP KY 31 (if you see it again, could you check on that?).

Roger

Connoisseur

I can check for you. So ifs it DSP KY 31 you want me to grab some for you?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    I can check for you. So ifs it DSP KY 31 you want me to grab some for you?
    No, thanks, I have a couple of bottles of this.

It's mainly a side point; in some of their bib's, Heaven Hill seemed to have been "using up old labels" on some BIB's with the old distillery's DSP for some time before printing new labels. HH BIB 6 year isn't available in my area, and I'm just curious whether those bottles are printed with DSP KY 1 on them.

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I did mean the 6 year old BIB but I see in the picture a black and gold Bonded HH which I believe has no age statement (thus minimum 4 years old) and is also very good. Possibly those bottles are somewhat older (hard to tell from the picture). Either is an excellent purchase.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I see in the picture a black and gold Bonded HH which I believe has no age statement (thus minimum 4 years old) and is also very good.
    Gary
    I agree.
    I wonder what that 4 year old would taste like straight from the barrel???

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I think it would be great! The 4 year Bonded is an excellent expression, it seems to have a lot of depth that does not over-emphasise the corn notes that can arise in some HH-branded bottlings (as opposed to EC 12 and 18, Mckenna SB 10 and the EWSB bottlings where these notes are not apparent). I seem to recall that a current black label HH is bonded and also 6 years aged, or maybe it is 6 years and not bonded. I'd like to compile a current, accurate list of all the HH-brand bourbons.

Gary

Connoisseur

I think it would be great! The 4 year Bonded is an excellent expression, it seems to have a lot of depth that does not over-emphasise the corn notes that can arise in some HH-branded bottlings (as opposed to EC 12 and 18, Mckenna SB 10 and the EWSB bottlings where these notes are not apparent). I seem to recall that a current black label HH is bonded and also 6 years aged, or maybe it is 6 years and not bonded. I'd like to compile a current, accurate list of all the HH-brand bourbons.

Gary

What does Bottled in Bond mean anyway? Does that mean it's barrel proof or something?

Also, is HH a wheater?

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    What does Bottled in Bond mean anyway? Does that mean it's barrel proof or something?

Also, is HH a wheater?

Thanks for the help.

Mark
    Mark,
    Bib is a set of regulations, a little more stringent than stright bourbon regulations. The quick rundown is: 4yrs old, one distilling season, 100 proof and the label should read where it was distilled and bottled.
    Barrel proof is barrel proof.
    HH has many different mash bills. the rest can be found with the search function.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

I'd like to compile a current, accurate list of all the HH-brand bourbons.

Gary
    Gary,
    BettyeJo was kind enough to take me on a tour of the HH bottling facility, the place is huge. Anyway, when she showed me the label books, I was shocked at how thick they were. Labels I had never even heard of. There were three Houston telephone book size folders full of domestic and export versions of every label. She told me that, they even have a hard tome keeping track of them. If you think about it: 50,200,375,750,1000,1750 ml.....thats six different labels alone, per every brand. Not to mention export, bottle neck rings, special stickers and so on.

Jeff Mo.