Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Recommendations on Bourbon I can find anywhere?

Thanks for the help everyone. It's much appreciated.

I tried MM as my very first bourbon a couple years ago and hated it. But, my palate has definitely changed so I think I will give it a try again.

Also, would you choose Bookers over MM?

Question on Old Fitz. Is it hard to come by? Are there varities (I assume so) and who is the distiller?

Thanks for the help.

I'll do some research as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post

I tried MM as my very first bourbon a couple years ago and hated it. But, my palate has definitely changed so I think I will give it a try again.

Maker's is definitely worth a visit if you haven't had it in a while. It's not my favorite bourbon by a long shot, but it's pretty good. I wouldn't turn down a glass if someone offered me one (my favorite kind of booze: free! ). I think it's also useful to have a serious taste of it in your mental notebook so you can use it to compare with other wheated bourbons.

As for Booker's vs. Maker's, I'd say that's a personal choice. Booker's has a much higher proof and more assertive flavor. If you like that in your bourbon, I'd say Booker's is worth a try. Booker's is also significantly more expensive, which may or may not make a difference to you. Personally, I'd prefer to have Booker's, but then I like a bourbon with more heat and bite. Your mileage may vary.
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    If your interested in a wheater, and your having trouble finding the others, I would revisit Makers. I think it has great flavor and is smooth. Not as smooth or sweat as some of the others, but still a good representative of the wheaters. And taste buds certainly change.

I don't see any comparison between Bookers and Makers except for they are both Bourbons. For me totaly different flavor profiles, and Bookers would be considered a more Rye heavy Bourbon...That being said Bookers is one of my favorites. A little less exspensive, a little less in your face, but along the same lines (more rye), give Bakers a try. Very nice flavor Brown Sugar...

Todd