Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Oktoberfest beer

Just seeing if anyone else enjoys this style of beer. I'm a big fan of it. I don't know why, other than its only available in the fall which is my favorite season.

So I picked up a 12 pack of Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest. It is very good. Drank it most of the weekend watching football. Seemed to pair nice with that. Also felt like a good outdoor brew. Have a bit of a chill in the air here in the midwest and this beer seemed to fit the weather.

Think next I'm going to try Capital next, maybe Paulaner, Sam Adams, or Warsteiner. Maybe Becks. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Oktoberfest beer

The Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen is excellent, Marzen is the same style as Octoberfest, this one is Smoked (Rauchbier). A wonderful bottling, about $4 a bottle, no not cheap, but not too bad either.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

Oktoberfest beers are lagers, which is something I can't brew at the moment b/c I can't get my fermentation temps low enough.

I love Oktoberfest beer and the fact I can't make it drives me nuts!!!
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    Oktoberfest beers are lagers, which is something I can't brew at the moment b/c I can't get my fermentation temps low enough.

I love Oktoberfest beer and the fact I can't make it drives me nuts!!!
    Beer fridge, dude.

I know, easier said than done. I got mine when I was a construction worker and a remodel was tossing one. Lagers aren't really more difficult, you just need that fridge in the garage.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    Beer fridge, dude.

I know, easier said than done. I got mine when I was a construction worker and a remodel was tossing one. Lagers aren't really more difficult, you just need that fridge in the garage.
    Also you can check second hand stores...hell most of the fridges in junk yards work, just the inside (shelves and drawers) are broken...you dont need that stuff anyway.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

While I've gone the used fridge route in the past, too, the money you'll save in one year by buying a new, efficient fridge outweighs the free or cheap fridge itself. You can get something workable for a couple hundred bucks.

As for making Oktoberfest, it's still mighty hard, given that the best yeasts for the job tend to throw some serious diacetyl.

I like a wide variety of Oktoberfests, but my favorites are the Hacker-Pschorr and Hofbrau.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    As for making Oktoberfest, it's still mighty hard, given that the best yeasts for the job tend to throw some serious diacetyl
    My old nemesis on this was Wyeast 2206 (as memory recalls). Wonderfully malty, but obnoxiously prone to high diacetyl levels. I've always had good luck with a diacetyl rest just after secodary fermentation before lagering. Bringing the temp up to ambient temperature for a day usually releases all the butterscotch. If not, a splashy racking aerated the beer enough to release the rest for me.

Enthusiast

It's not a $$ issue, it's a space issue for where I live. I'll get a new chest freezer eventually w/ a thermostat to regulate temps. At the same time I'll move into all grain brewing. I just need to get out of the apartment I'm in, but real estate in San Diego is so rediculous. I would kill to have a garage! Thankfully analyst out here are saying SD could be in for a 30-40% price correction. Which would put me into condo land (still over 200,000). So we'll see what happens.
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Connoisseur

I usually drink Samuel Adams Oktoberfest but your note inspired me to purchase the Hofbrau. Hope to sample some this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    While I've gone the used fridge route in the past, too, the money you'll save in one year by buying a new, efficient fridge outweighs the free or cheap fridge itself. You can get something workable for a couple hundred bucks.

As for making Oktoberfest, it's still mighty hard, given that the best yeasts for the job tend to throw some serious diacetyl.

I like a wide variety of Oktoberfests, but my favorites are the Hacker-Pschorr and Hofbrau.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur

Sam Adams makes a terrific Oktoberfest. I love it.

Yep, 2206 can throw some diacetyl.

An even better yeast for Oktoberfest is 2308, which unfortunately throws more diacetyl. A good diacetyl rest will help as long as you do it early enough (before primary fermentation is completely finished).

Phischy, I feel your pain on space issues. Glad we bought this house, and I can run my brewery without a room squeeze (usually).