Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

What new bourbon products would you like to see in the future?

What new bourbon products would you like to see come to market in the future? Here are some I would like to see:

-Makers Mark barrel proof bourbon and straight wheat whiskey.
    -Four Roses straight rye whiskey.

I think these would be great!

Thomas

Guru

Re: What new bourbon products would you like to see in the future?

I can't comment on the Four Roses, but I will bet we will see a Maker's Barrel Proof about the same time we see Elvis alive.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Virtuoso

I'm all for some Four Roses Rye, maybe with a little age on it 12, 15, 18 yo. Mmmmm!

I would also like to see some of the premium Export bottles go State side! Come on it's made here why can't we get it here?!?!?!?!?!?
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    [snip] I would also like to see some of the premium Export bottles go State side! Come on it's made here why can't we get it here?!?!?!?!?!?
    I've always assumed the producers can sell it at a higher price in those other markets. The last thing they would want is for someone to buy large amounts at retail here and sell it overseas at the higher price.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

I wourd like all distilleries to go for the same benchmark as BT when it comes to realize uncut and unfiltered brands and a bow everything else give a serious shot to straight rye from scratch.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

I like the barrel unfiltered proof bourbons ala BTAC, there's something cool about drinking something that's as straight from the barrel as I'm going to get it. Some brands I'd particularly like to see in barrel proof versions are Weller Antique 107 (Maybe this is the barrel proof, I don't believe it says on the bottle though.), Maker's Mark, and any and all of the PVW and ORVW variations! Also, although not new and not spoken highly of, I would really like to try some of those 25 year old bourbons that they sell in Japan; labels like Old Man Winter 25, Very Old Saint Nick 25, American Cowboy 25, etc... It would be nice if they started selling them here. Hell, sell those in regular and barrel proof versions too! Maybe they could do something like they do with that Tequila Romance where it's one bottle but 2 different kinds of the spirit inside in different chambers with separate pouring spouts; they could put the barrel proof in one chamber and the regular bourbon in the other, that would be pretty neat.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Disciple

All the posts seem to convey that we are getting screwed out of some great bourbon. I can see how you could think that, though I would not go so far as to take money out of the coffers of your favorite distiller.
    Are we ready to pay the amount that is charged in Japan? I'm not.
    I say great for the distillers. Make your money there. Keep my bourbons affordable.
    Not 20 years ago, a liter of 8 yr high grade bourbon sold for about $12. I can still find those on shelves in Tx.
    When I gaze through the ads now the same bourbon liter is 4yrs and $19, not very good either.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've started a new thread here about whether or not, as Jeff Mo. puts it, "we are getting screwed out of some great bourbon."

I've had 10-year-old Maker's Mark. It sucks.

I'd like to see:

A higher proof version of Basil Hayden (at least 100&#176. Maybe an older one too, say 12-years.

A 15-18 year old Wild Turkey that is not a limited edition, or at least an annual release and not a one-off like Tribute.

A distillation-proof bourbon white dog product. One from every distillery, preferably. Fun to drink on its own and perfect for aging at home.

A high-rye straight rye. Sure, Old Potrero is 100% rye, but I'd like to see what a Buffalo Trace or a Wild Turkey could do with a 70% rye mash bill. Most if not all of the straight ryes on the market today are "barely legal" at exactly 51%.

Disciple

That all sounds great Chuck. But, Basil Haydens is already $32, for a week 80 proof bourbon....that would have only been $10 twenty years ago. I don't think inflation should have moved the price that much. IMO, Beam is down right greedy to take your money, for a crap product, while passing it off as quality. I won't be buying Basil's when it is 100 proof becuse they will charge me $50 or something close. Thanks but no thanks.

Jeff Mo.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    A distillation-proof bourbon white dog product.
    Corn squeezins? have you ever drank that stuff?
    Whiskey burps, God love 'em